URGENT!! Spilt Sticky Drink on my Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hector Domingo, Jan 10, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hector Domingo

Hi
    i've just, rather stupidly, spilt a sticky drink on my mid-2009 macbook pro.
    I've managed to dry some of it off and wipe it down but it is still sticky :(

Nothing went on th keyboard thankfully, but it all went on the trackpad. Now my trackpad feels all sticky and won't register any movement of my fingers. When it does, it only moves a couple of millimeters on the screen and stops again :(

Also, wherever i click, it only registers the right click. Luckily i managed to attach a bluetooth mouse and use that to switch it off. Also, the mouse seemed to jitter and wander when i am not touching to trackpad :( Another thing i noticed is that the performance dropped rapidly when i spilt the drink.

Can you please offer me advice on what to do, I've looked all over, but com only find advice about the keyboard!

Thanks

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Turn it off and wipe the trackpad with a damp cloth.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hector Domingo

4. macrumors 65816

Pixellated

Try washing it out with some distilled water.

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You do realize that you need to keep the machine off for a couple of days to allow the liquid sufficient time to dry. If not you run the risk of shorting out the computer.

6. macrumors member

Turn it off

and leave it off. Then use isopropyl alcohol spray to clean touchpad area. Then leave it off to dry out for a long period (2-3 days)

7. macrumors 6502

I second that! It sounds like your trackpad is mistaking a part of the spill for a finger.

8. macrumors 6502

If you're okay with taking it apart, I'd remove the track pad from the computer and use isopropyl alcohol/distilled water to get the gunk off the trackpad and out of the inside of the aluminum case. (doesn't sound like any got on battery/hard drive on the inside) In order to get to the trackpad from the inside you'll have to remove the battery and the HDD.

http://s2.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/yXHpEfw1BpGaGfnB.large

Don't soak the thing with distilled water/alcohol, you'll ruin it for sure.

Edit: After reviewing the iFixit teardown of a uMBP it looks as if the trackpad is permanently affixed to the aluminum case. If so, that could complicate things.