URL to .mp3 Files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Squire, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I'm having some trouble.

I want to host an .mp3 file on my iDisk but it's inaccessible to others. The computer asks them to enter my username and a password even though I have that option turned off. Right now, the file is located at:

http://idisk.mac.com/myusername/.Public/Filename.mp3

Where (and how) can I put the mp3 file so it's accessible? I need a working URL that doesn't ask for a password. I'm trying to create a podcast and this, I believe, is my final stumbling block. I realize that I can just add the file as an attachment to my blog but I'd like people to be able to subscribe to it on iPodder or something.

Thanks a million.

Squire

<edit> That's not really the exact location of the file, obviously. (I don't want to bore you with my GarageBand antics.)

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

If you are using that name scheme, I believe you have to use homepage.mac.com, not idisk.mac.com. Otherwise, you wouldn't need the leading period for your Public drive.

3. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Thanks.
    That's what I thought, too. But using "homepage" in the address gives me an error whereas using "idisk" gets me straight to the file.

Strange.

Squire

4. pashazade macrumors member

Hi,

I've been doing some experiments to see if this is possible and I've got somewhere but it's not enough.

I think the reason you are getting asked the password is because that you are using the idisk address. I think this is always the case, it is your private disk space and allows you direct access to the files. If you want public access it seems you have to use the homepages url.

I think the problem is .mac does processing of all downloads of content, when I download something from .mac account via homepages I can see that it downloads a zip file rather than the actual file and then unzips it after download. I have been trying with a jpg for ease of download but I will try will an mp3 later.

Basically:

I have an images in my public folder called

TerminalCityPOSTER.jpg
    Trick.jpg

I have set the first one up to be downloaded using .Mac homepages so I can see the URL that will appear.

This turns out to be

homepage.mac.com/dotmacname/.cv/dotmacname/Sites/.Public/TerminalCityPOSTER.jpg-zip.zip

If I then copy and paste this into a browser it works and I can download a zipped image. If I then use the same form of url but with the second image this works fine. I also tried with other files including an mp3.

So in my case if I have a file in my public folder I should be able to access this by using this

http://homepage.mac.com/dotmacname/.cv/dotmacname/Sites/.Public/<filename.<extension>-zip.zip

ugly but it works, I would assume that non Mac OS X users would only get a zip file as well.

Regards

pashazade