US and Turkey declare war on Kurdish militants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Holy c**p, don't we have enough enemies in Iraq without taking on new ones? Read this BBC report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3158686.stm

This, along with about 8 billion in aid is what the US will have to pay in order to get Turkish troops into Iraq. Who is running this foreign policy, Bozo the Clown?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i visited turkey in 1994. i met a lot of people who were talking about the PKK-eradication effort.

one went so far as to say, "it'll be taken care of by the end of this year." it was pretty spooky when he said it, but now i realize it was simply wishful thinking on his part.

when i was there, i once got the PKK mixed up w/ the PTT, the post office. yeah, that confused the turk i was talking to.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I may be in error, but isn't the PKK a very militant group with one of its aims being to take part of Turkey and Iraq to create a greater Kurdistan? I have read that their politics are Maoist, IIRC. It's not the same group as the greater majority of Kurds who've been crapped on by everybody for some decades...

'Rat

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hmm, that sounds a lot like the attitude towards the early Zionist movements.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The PKK has become much more sophisticated in achieving its goals. No longer a party of the workers its goal is for greater political participation in Turkey as a whole. It has engaged heavily in urban terrorism and although attempts have been made to become more political, its efforts have been shot down again and again by the Turkish govt.

Eastern Turkey isn't much to look at and has little to offer those in Ankara and Istanbul. I really don't understand why the Turks haven't just granted them some sort of semi-autonomous region to call their own. The treatment of the Kurds is the reason that Turkey was not invited to join the EU.

Their connection to Maoism is long past and all they really want is to be able to speak their own language and live in their own communities. Turkey has done its best to eradicate the Kurds, 30,000 have been killed by the Turkish govt., hundreds of villages have been bulldozed and the Kurdish language is forbidden outside of private homes.

For the US to team up with Turkey to eradicate the PKK in Iraq means that the Iraqi Kurds who tend to support the US in Iraq, mostly because of the autonomy granted them after GW I, will probably stop supporting the US and push for a separate Kurdish area of Iraq. In other words, gw & co are once again creating a recipe for disaster all for the sake of getting more troops in Iraq. Of course this comes as no surprise because before the war began, the US-Turkish negotiations included this very issue.