US AppleCare off eBay for my 'European' MBP ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TWEO, Mar 28, 2007.

1. TWEO macrumors member

Even though I like Apple and am always eager to give them my money in exchange for shiny gadgetry, I think the price they charge for AppleCare is a bit too high. So, I'll be buying an AppleCare package for my Macbook Pro on eBay. I've bought items there before, so I'll be fine in that regard.

The question I'm trying to answer is if this 'American' AppleCare packaged can be used with my 'European' MBP. I know that I could get my MBP serviced under warranty worldwide, but I'm not sure if the same thing goes for the AppleCare package.

Thanks so much for your time and hopefully answers :)

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. TWEO thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ! I've looked for a thread like that, but was unable to find one. I'll wait to see if someone else can share their experience and/or knowledge, but will probably buy one soon. Of course, I will post my experiences in this thread.

4. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

The only thing I will tell you for sure is that we are not allowed to sell AppleCare here in the states to people who reside outside the states. So I would say no. I have heard calls come in from Applecare to remind certain employees to remember not to sell to people traveling here who dont reside here. Those calls come in because someone forgets this and does sell it to them. Cheap or not I am sure you are spending some good money. I would check with the people who make the ultimate decision which is Applecare.

Kevin

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I actually got a UK AppleCare for my MacBook Pro off eBay a couple of weeks back for half price if you are worried about buying from the US.

I got mine from this seller. I lost the auction, but got it for a few quid less on a second chance offer. Try contacting the seller to see if they have any left for the MBP.

6. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Also, there is no need to have the whole box sent to the UK. Just ask the seller to e-mail you the activation code that can be found inside the box.

7. TWEO thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies. I'm not from the UK by the way, but from The Netherlands. Being scared off by OldSkoolNJ's reply and being unable to contact AppleCare before the eBay item ends, I'll resort to contacting the seller that OllyW mentioned. Buying an AppleCare plan from a fellow European sounds like a safer bet after reading the replies here. And the price is about the same.

I will reply here to report failure or succes :)