US Army Extends 4000 Tours of Duty in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Sep 25, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So much for an election-time troop drawdown.

From the "morale boost" front:
    If Bush has a plan for Iraq, as we're repeatedly told he does, now might be a good time to bust it out...

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

ABC News (TV) is reporting that top generals in the Army are saying they need 10s of thousands more troops as ours is spread very thin at the moment.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That aint all they are saying, they are also saying Bush & gang are doing a screwed up job to put it bluntly. They are also saying Rumsfeld isnt capable of handling this.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

These troops are needed because "we're" winning the war. How do people who've never been in combat claim to be winning the war? I suppose this is like the guys in the office who claim "we beat the hell outta them last night."

Shame, though, that more innocent Americans have to die because someone hasn't a clue and only sees those troops as resources, not people.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I guess they figure if they start withdrawing forces and things go (even more) to Hell, they'll lose the election. Maybe they figure they'll lose the election anyway. Wonder what happens if the Dems do pick up a few seats in Nov. Will they get blamed for everything come '08? They get blamed for everything now.

I'd be more pissed about this, but I can't say I'm surprised. They needed more troops anyway, but it's not like we're going win either way, and I can't help thinking it's just going to waste more lives on both sides. All I can do is be upset at those who put us into this no win situation. Where are all those neocon chickenhawks who support this war so much? Why aren't they signing up in droves?

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

If we get into another campaign, like invading Iran, they're going to have to start the draft. There's no way around it, unless they start building Terminators.

Because they're all 50 something and too old to join. Not that they would anyway.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not true. Though there are some that old who may have actually served (except for those in charge like Bush, Cheney, Frist, Hastert, or the pundits who support them like Rush, O'Reily, Hannity) but I see plenty of younger people talking about how we have to kill all those Iraqis, or protect them from terrorists (one of those, I always forget which) from the safety of their couches. We've had a few here. When asked why they aren't serving, you usually get an insult about how we're all liberals, then we don't hear from them for awhile.

8. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

They're already enlinsted. The 101st Chairborne.

9. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

And they need billions more dollars to repair equipment, replace equipment left in country by the National Guard (which have very little equipment, if any, left at home...Katrina scale disaster anyone?), uparmor the vehicles & troops, recruit & train new troops, and pay for expendables. I think the current request is something like $135 billion dollars. Manufacturing needs to improve immediately. If we're going to remain in Iraq & Afghanistan, we need to commit more resources to our military.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hehe i gotta remember that

that said i'm sure that some mandatory army/national guard/conscription service might lead to less US "adventures" around the world

that said it might also attract more people who would have studied other wise etc. (which volunteer armies always sorta lack especially in the lower grades)