US ATV in the UK

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gonzoh, Nov 19, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

With Christmas approaching I am thinking of giving my sister in the UK an ATV. Thing is they are a lot cheaper in the US than the UK relatively speaking.
    If I bought a US ATV and took it to the UK would it work?

I see it has a universal PSU and the spec pages say it does 50/60 hz so would suggest a PAL/NTSC capability. Output is HDMI so do UK TV's have HDMI or are they still using those stupid SKART connectors!

any one have any thoughts

Thanks

George

2. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes it would

3. macrumors 68020

Well, they sell the ATV2 in the UK with HDMI as the only option for video out...

My US ATV1 works fine in the UK using a standard two prong lead.

4. macrumors 65816

The bad old days when a TV or other electronic device bought in one country wouldn't work in another are (largely) a thing of the past. Thanks to globalization, and the widespread introduction of digital High Definition TV service, most such devices can cross borders with only minimal help.

The only issue I think you'd face is the power cord. You could simply use an adapter, which can be bought for $5 or so from any decent electrical store. More challenging, but an overall neater installation, would be to locate the correct spec. electrical cord itself. I don't know if Apple sells them, or if the AppleTV uses a standard power jack.

The only other "downside" to AppleTV in the UK is the absence of Netflix, which I've found makes up a sizable portion of my AppleTV usage. But hey- you can't have everything.

5. macrumors 6502a

itickings

Very standard and very cheap. No worries.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. That solves one christmas present. Now what for everyone else!

7. macrumors member

As a follow up to this, do I need a US iTunes ac to use a US ATV2 in the UK?

Regards

8. macrumors 6502

No, there is no difference between a US or UK ATV2. All that will happen if you don't use a US account then the netflix option will disappear from the menu.

9. macrumors newbie

Now how about a spin on this question, which I've been meaning to ask for a while now... What about a US ATV2 in the Czech Republic?

The difference here is simple, they don't sell Apple TV's in Czech.