US bought iBook useable anywhere?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Peter Griffin, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Just switched a few minutes ago :) . Placed my order and patiently waiting. Anyway, I'll be moving to Hong Kong in about a month or so. I was wondering what I would need in order for it to work there. Change power supply? Thanks in advance

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think something like this:

Apple World Travel Kit

Will cover you. Cost is $39USD here.

3. wako macrumors 65816

World Travel Kits are a big waste of money... just wait till you get to Hong Kong and buy a adaptor, which will probably cost you 2 or 3 bucks.

I recently bought a UK phone, charger was designed for UK outlets, went on ebay bought a adaptor for 2 bucks with shipping.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Apple 'Books ready

The laptop power adapter included with all apple laptops is ready for worldwide use, it automatically converts for any wattage.
    Only thing you need is a plug adapter, either available through apple or I'm sure can be found in any airport.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, the only advantage of the Apple ones is that they replace the plug portion of the existing power supply, so they're more ... cosmetically elegant. I'm sure you can find something much cheaper. And maybe, in HK, can even buy the Apple-specific (or copycat) piece for the power brick.

6. steelfist macrumors 6502a

cool. i live in hong kong now. are you staying there permenantly? or just visiting/buisness? if you know your way, fine. (it's really hard to get lost :p) but there are two good apple stores (actualy that's all i know of) one is in Tsim sha Tsui near the ferry peir right above starbucks, and second is in a computer centre in WanChai. just in case :p

now, i think it's best to buy an adaptor in hong kong. (so you really need to know immediatly where the stores are and access them.)

now, i attached 3 pictures of hong kong zooming in using Google maps to help you pinpoint the location of the Store in TST. the WanChai one is quite hard to find so i can't really help you there. search for addresses on google and good luck!

pm me if you need more directions! :D

Attached Files:

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Any power-adapter will work, so just go to wherever and get a bog standard travel-kit

8. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

WOW thanks... I'm actually planning to stay there for at least 6 months. I remember going last time. Loved it except for the damn crowd and heat.

Anyway its good to know that my iBook will work elsewhere. Thanks for all the input guys!

EDIT- I actually purchased am iPod in HK before so I think the adaptor *might* work for the iBook. Does anyone know?

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

If you mean the little plug attachment that goes into the power block, yes it will work fine. I do exactly the same with my second-hand iBook – it didn't come with the plug part so I use the one that came with my iPod. Works a treat.