US campaign behind the turmoil in Kiev

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 27, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

i found this fascinating.
  2. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    What is equally fascinating is that the anti-Semitic and otherwise deeply dubious Yushchenko is the subject of wholesale revisionism because he is seen, by the US, as nominally pro-Western. And that the whole trigger for this pantomime coup was the "exit polls" paid for by the US, which showed no more discrepancy from reality than in your own election.
  3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I find this disheartening. I think left-wing Western media (such as the Guardian) has a hard time picking sides in post-communist contexts where the left-wing are the conservatives. The article uses language in such a way to make what these western, anti-left actions are doing, but it also seems to realize that it's not on the side of the incumbents either.

I'm not saying that the US isn't trying to affect elections in other countries and isn't trying to stear populations in countries with elections towards candidates whom, for some reason, we favor. Of course we are. But keep in mind that those whom these efforts are trying to unseat aren't exactly playing fair either.