US charges Hezbollah TV provider

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

What ever happened to freedom of information? Freedom of the press? Can my government now decide that I can't read what people from another country are saying because of the political content of their words? Outrageous.
    BBC

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Freedom of information will prevail.

But some will say it's rather crazy that freedom of speech is not practiced under Hezbollah, that disenting views are condemed in that area. So why should they deserve the rights here in America if an American can't go broadcast Fox over there ;)

Of course this will be turned into a political argument soon enough. Libs aiding and embedding the terrorists! Aaahhhhhhh!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It is not a question of the rights of Hezbollah in America. It is a question of the right of Americans to read and watch sources of information that maybe controversial. My government doesn't have the right to tell me I can't watch news or get information from anywhere or anyone. It is US citizens who are having their rights curtailed, not Hezbollah.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

To be fair, depending on the business agreement between this guy and Hezbollah, the issue isn't just freedom of the press. In fact, legally that's not necessarily and issue at all.

6. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

This story is another idiotic precious press beat up. The law is that a US entity is not allowed to deal with proscribed terrorist organisations. Whether they sell chocolate bons bons or satellite broadcast services. This is just a simple commercial transaction with a terrorist organisation.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I would expect 'Rat to be along shortly to deride this "So's your old man" argument.

Unless he wants to further cement his hypocrisy....