US envoy warns of Taleban return

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 19, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's just hurry up and get those roads built so we can get the trucks with the pipeline-laying equipment in.

Outside Kabul and the great job we're doing laying one-layer-of-asphalt roads, is there much else to indicate we are making progress in rebuilding Afghanistan?

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the 'progress', imo, is how far afghanistan has been moved from public attention in the US

4. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Afghanistan and the real effort to find terrorists was pushed aside for the Iraq adventure...and now for what?
    The Taliban is resurging, Al Queda is still operating freely on the Afghan Pakistan frontier, and now Iraq is set to become a fundamentalist islamic state*. Yup, I reckon that's the plan.

*Iraq is in chaos, Al Sistani is calling the shots, sharia (Islamic law) is being instituted, and junior wants out before the election. The perfect recipe for another unstable islamic state.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It's not cheap to deal with folks who are willing--and sometimes eager--to die for that in which they believe. Those who strongly believe in the Sharia are indeed in a war against anything perceived to be "Western" or secular in nature.

Insofar as building pipelines across Afghanistan, would that not be a source of income to the country? Rental fees for the right of way, some fee on a per-barrel basis, plus jobs during construction and then a lesser, permanent number, with operations. Seems to me that's better than exporting opium poppies, or the equivalents of camel saddles and brass bells.

'Rat

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes 'Rat, there will be benefits from building a pipeline, not the least of which is at least one road connecting the country. There will be some jobs created, and some people will get wealthy off it. I just wonder whether that's the best use of the money, or if more people could be helped by doing something else with it. And I wonder how many people close to the current president will make money off the pipeline, and how much they make compared to what the Afghans get out of it.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i understand afghan poppy growers make enough to feed their families. not sure a pipeline would prove the trickle down theory.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sorta "Dangfino". I'm assuming the income from any such project will go into the Afghan equivalent of a General Revenue fund. How it's spent is up to their government...

'Rat

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

until the taleban came along, afghanistan didn't have much of a centralized gov't. regions were run by warlords. for many regions, poppy was the best source of income.

from what i understand, any monies that came to kabul didn't find its way to the farmers, and largely didn't make it out of kabul. assume typical corruption.