US faces prison ship allegations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 29, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I blame Carnival Cruise Lines. They gave the US the idea with their lawless booze cruises.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Plus everyone is allways getting sick on those things with Flu and its easier to tell the truth when your puking your guts out all over the place.

4. efoto macrumors 68030

That is great, Carnival Cruise Lines, someone has to lose.

If these allegations are true, this is certainly quite a horrible thing. I'm not saying that the US is a perfect country and has never commited crimes, but especially when trying to gain allies in the 'war on terror', well violating human rights, not even on your own soil, isn't a way to impress other countries and gain friends :(

What happens if a country is found in violation of a law like this? They can't put the country in jail....so what happens?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If there was oil there, we would bomb them and call it freedom. If not, we just call them evil and say we won't trade with them, then sell them weapons. If it's us, people just get pissed off and know there's nothing they can do but bitch to the converted. If people complain enough, we blame a patsy. Even if the decision came from higher up.

Call me a cynic, I prefer realist.

6. efoto macrumors 68030

I would think realist applies well enough. Although I don't agree with what you said, it does sound like what would happen in those situations. It really sucks being in the strongest power on the globe at times, everyone either loves you to death or hates you to death, no mediocrity.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't agree with what I said either. Just seems to be the way we're headed. As a realist though, I know it will probably start the swing the other crazy direction. Such is the nature of the world, ebb and flow.

But yeah, we'd probably bomb the heck out of them.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Indian Ocean, eh? Sounds like the UK might be involved, as it's probably happening in British territorial waters off Diego Garcia. Hmmm. Wasn't Nelson famous for putting his telescope to his blind eye?