US gov tells all: "how to build a nuke bomb"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Nov 3, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15540188/
    how incompetent is this gov.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well it's not like it's a big secret. The trouble is getting a hold of the equipment and the materials, not the actual construction.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN headline:

Yanking seems to be what this administration does best. ;)

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

A kid back in the seventies went to his university library and built a working model of a nuclear bomb. If he had the plutonium, it would have worked. And this was during the height of the cold war.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Oh please... I remember during the infancy of the internet before we were all paranoid actually researching how to homebrew C4, thermite, and build a nuke...while in and at high school.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, I remember all the squabbling about such information, forty years back. Various paranoids would want to classify something "Burn Before Reading", and it was difficult to make them understand that it was public information and had been so for years and years.

Back in 1961/1962, I took a semester of nuclear physics and two semesters of power reactor design. Textbooks, right? Full of "How to..." Bought 'em at the universtity bookstore.

Never try to explain hardware realities to lawyers and liberal arts majors. they're software people. :D

'Rat

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

What do you mean?

I have a Plutonium Tree in my garden!

I can just ask mum for some Fairy Liquid bottles and boom!

:D

9. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

well, if u think wikipedia is as powerful as US government, then ... yeah.

10. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The issue is, the information has been publically available since the 1960's, available in university libraries, library of congress, etc. Anyone who has a degree in nuclear physics should be able to do it. As for a few documents winding up on the internet, well, Karl Rove has a reason for everything, doesn't he? ;)

11. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

dear, are u telling me the classified information about nuke isn't different from the stuff in your local lib? plzzzzzzz

12. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell comments:

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was listening to NPR on the way home from work, and they were talking about this.

They were saying that while there are many places on the internet where you can get instructions on making bombs, the documents that were put on the internet had very technical engineering instructions about triggering mechanisms and other things. They were more in depth and much more instructive on how to make the bomb than what you could normally find online.

EDIT:Here is the link

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

can you imagine if this had happened with a dem president and congress?

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I only hope these last 6 years have taught everyone a lesson: never vote republican again.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Predictably....

Why doesn't someone post a freakin link!?!

MR could declare itself sovreign if we had the stinkin Bomb on board.... Just ask that crazy midgit from NK.

17. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

it's not like it's a big secret. And anyway, knowing how to do it is one thing, but being able to is something else entirely.

personally, I think I have a right to know how they're made, how they work, etc. Science belongs to everyone, not just the government.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wish it was so but lets face it we have people in this country who are partison Republican first, Americans later. More of the same from this party of big business. They couldnt do the peoples work if they were forced to. Is anyone in charge? Oh wait George and his republicans are in charge, that explains it.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

If you had read my link though you'd have found out that these instructions answered tough engineering questions and gave very specific instructions on firing mechanisms and other things. These instructions were much more useful than something you'd normally find online.

20. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I did

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You'd have heard more about it. I didn't even know until I came here. You'd think this would be bigger news than Kerry's botched joke, which people are still talking about. :rolleyes:

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

had this happened under clinton's watch, it would have been bigger than monica.

- lead or near lead story on nightly news for months
    - both houses of congress would have stopped all other business
    - conservative radio would have nothing else to talk about
    - republican leaders would be calling for clinton's immediate resignation and calling for treason hearings
    - congress would open multiple investigations and call for public hearings of just about everyone in the clinton WH

let's not kid ourselves, that we're hearing nothing makes the elephant bigger than the room it's supposedly in -- this is a double standard unlike any other i've seen.

liberal media, my ass.

23. link92 macrumors 6502

So now we know why U2 went and released an album with a "mad long title" [Bono, CNN interview in 2006] called How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.