US hawks rooting for hardline Iranian candidate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 26, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course, the unspoken bit is that there's a much better chance of provoking a confrontation with the mullahs. I sense an impending apocalypse...

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Seems to me that the European idea is built more on hope than on any high probability.

Seems to me that our administration, both sides, are operating in the dark about the future within Iranian politics. I really doubt there will be any "instant gratification" for either side.

I don't see anything useful we can do right now about Iran, other than hope that those who want to follow some sort of reaching out to increased relationships with the west will have influence. I guess we oughta be willing to talk, but be wary of any Iranian intentions regarding nukes.

'Rat

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A desire instant gratification -- isn't that what got us into so much trouble in Iraq?

Iran is just another in a long line of failures flowing from the confused Bush foreign policy. They've never formulated a coherent approach to Iran, but in the course of dithering, they did manage to call the country "evil" and then invade and occupy their neighbor. Is anyone surprised that Iran elected a hard-liner who will turn back the clock on social and political reforms within his own country, and is less likely to be open to compromise on big international issues like nuclear proliferation?

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually 2 neighbours and being allied with an additional one who has nukes ;)

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes indeed. I stand corrected.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr