US lags in propaganda war: Rumsfeld

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 17, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

hm, that last line is kind of ominous.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There comes a point where there's nothing good to say, no matter how you spin it.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not certain how we're supposed to square these two notions:
    1. the terrorists are on the run; their funding is cut off; the world community is united against them; their leadership is in shambles
    2. the terrorists are defeating us with blackberries

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

At the same time, Dandy Don sez:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-infowar18feb18,0,6954085.story

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the "innovation of lying", eh? interesting.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Here's an idea. Stop doing bad things and people will stop reporting on it. What little they do. But I guess, that would be too easy. They've pretty much said they want to stop bad news from getting released, even if it's true. It's a screwy world with screwy logic, but it works on just enough people to win elections. For now.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And just where does the responsibility for our lack of effective 'propoganda' (for lack of a better term) rest? Rumsfeld has had an almost unprecedented tenure and a chance to develop the military nearly as he's seen fit. Bush has allowed him the free hand to do it. But suddenly 'our government' can't seem to get it right, and somehow it's not either of their faults.

And then Rove wants to turn around and say it's that 'pre 9-11 mindset' of the badnasty liberals who are really at fault...

Oh and if Rumsfeld is REALLY so clueless as to not know how to fight an information war with emails and faxes and Blackberries and all that fancy jazz -- he need look no further than Karl Rove for the information.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Looks like we actually are still planting stories too. And it's STILL not working. Duh.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm not sure if any of you follow Ghost In The Shell. Most of the wars fought in that series are based on (dis)information. The ability to manipulate, stall or push data is the primary concern.

While all of it's fictional, it's very clever and I can see how it should work. The internet afterall is the largest resource for information, and it's only getting bigger.

Though I do agree that America needs to start doing things by the book, until that happens, we're screwed unless our government realizes how fast they could push information.