US Military report on torture deaths in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, May 20, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Warning! The story below may make you sick. From The Independent.

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i read this story a while ago...the description of "pulpified" has unfortunately been forever implanted in my consciousness.

i wonder if bush, gonzales and rummy know how many aberrations it takes to constitute an accepted policy?

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The Newsweek fiasco has ensured that no one will believe future allegations of torture that come from the media.

Everything is working according to plan.

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You may be right, but this report comes from the US military. I'm not sure how the Bushies can spin this to blame the media, but if it is possible I'm sure they will.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"A few [more] bad apples?"

It's worked before.

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Isn't it the same number (7) as before? I willing to bet no commanding officer gets anything more than a reprimand. But how do you keep having this stuff come up in Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo, and now Bagram - all verified by the military's own investigations - and don't come to the conclusion that there is a policy behind it all. I guess all you need is a compliant media willing to overlook it all.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Every report I've read thus far is noting quite clearly that it was "reported in the NYT."

Public perception: NYT using leaked documents = Newsweek using unnamed sources.

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I know, perhaps the administration can push a law through stating all reports on Iraq and Afghanistan must be approved before they are published? After all it doesn't matter if the stories are accurate, we wouldn't want anyone using the truth to stir up the muslim street against our efforts. It's all about protecting our boys over there, and why would the press object?

If you think my sarcasm is going overboard, just wait for the administration spin on the Sunday morning talk shows and see if I'm not too far off.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

:mad: i can't believe that will go the same way ("few more bad apples") and low level sodliers being punisehd

i don't know for my it looks even more systematical than before... that seems to be a ****ing policy and not like induvidual soldiers thinking up ways to torture people they are capturing/whatever

no wonder the US still won't approve the international court

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Even our puppet in Kabul is demanding action on this.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just as well it wasn't published in Newsweek or the NYT.