US Military using Electromagnetic Shields

Discussion in 'Community' started by topicolo, Aug 23, 2002.

1. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Apparently, the US military is developing a "force field" comprised of polarized plates for their light armor that can stop rpg rounds.

Check it out here

2. Pants macrumors regular

rubbish. this is a BRITISH invention.

aint american hegemony great? if its used by them it MUST, by default, be their idea.....grrr.....

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i was listenin to npr a few weeks ago and they had something on about this gravity thang that was able to knock satellites and just move things around on earth..

it sounded neat, and i really only heard the end of it..

did anyone else hear it, or does anyone know much else about it?

-f

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Pretty cool stuff - I coworker of mine went off to go work on this at Aberdeen, not much available on it though.

Anti grav is a bit strange - lots of whacko sites out there, its very hard to filter the real from the imaginary. Any search on anti-grav comes up with lots of alien stuff, but there is a place online - can't find it right now - that you can make your own antigrav demo - requires a few 10s of kW and you levitate a bunch of wire and tinfoil - whoohoo! If I find the link, I'll post it.

D

5. AngusB macrumors member

Boeing Work on Anti-gravity

Go to you local, well stocked (i.e. collegiate) library and find the 31 July 2002 Issue of Jane's Defence Weekly. The cover story is about Boeing experiments into building and anti-grav weapon. It also lists good refernces for general anti-grav research by the 'current' father, and Russian Scientist named Podkletnov.

Happy Reading

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The Russian has done some crazy stuff, that works over long distance too. But its a weapon more than a lifting device. I still haven't found that link, I'll go try again.

D

7. topicolo thread starter macrumors 68000

topicolo

I'm skeptical. They haven't been able to reproduce the Russian's experiments at all.:rolleyes: . Besides, he claimed that he was able to reduce the weight of the object by only 2%

8. Pants macrumors regular

indeed. Its snakeoil science - certainly, as it stands now, his 2% was within the bounds of experimental error, add to this the fact that he hasn't allowed anyone to see his experiemental kit, and the fact that no one else has been able to replicate it, and you have to wonder...

the reason boeing, british aerospace and nasa are spending money on it (and not a lot by all accounts) is simply that a small expenditure to disprove it is prudent, given the advantages gained if it works.

The anti-grav thing dukestreet is talking about has more to do with magnets...ever seen those cool pics of frogs floating in a magnetic field? thats not antigravity, merely a large magnetic field...

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure US army has antigrav saucers with no propellers etc.
    From what I 100% know is that they can stay in air,on same place for long time,making no noise.

10. big macrumors 65816

big

>From what I 100% know is that they can stay in air,on same place for long time,making no noise.

that would revolutionalize this world...

meaning no gas for consumers to buy, if the economy was ever going to be shaky due to the internet, think how it will be when those babies arrive?

no mechanics (fewer moving parts)

WOW that would be big

11. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

There is one significant problem about those baby's... They interfere with electronics because of those high-voltage particles.
    When object like that is above car or lamp or anything else,they stop working.
    Thats why ion technology will never become mainstream for air transport.
    On the other hand,it's good for military use for spying,surveillance etc..

12. Pants macrumors regular

I don't know wether to laugh or cry at this....
    :( i sometimes wonder if even the most seemingly literate people had a science bypass at birth.

13. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Member of my family saw such object,along with hundreds of other people.
    That means it exists.

14. Pants macrumors regular

no - that means you probably all have issues with depth perception - it was a frisbee ! :)

hey - would you believe me if I said that where I work we have a quantum computer made out of a jello and fairy cake mix? seriously, we do, and i have seen it, along with many other members of staff, so it really must work and be real.

15. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Pants you are ignorant,there are many witnesses who saw those objects,dont be blind.
    My mother and her colleague saw flying saucer, with many lights around it.
    And I would bet on my life it's true,because there is no way she would lie. Get it? Would you believe your own mother? I think you would..
    I understand that you cannot be sure *I* am not lieing,you don't know me and you cannot thrust someone on the other side of a world. I understand that,but i assure you that I am not moron like that.

16. Pants macrumors regular

I am, by profession, a scientist. Just because you tell me you saw it doesn't imply that your conclusion that it was a 'ufo' is correct. I'm sorry, but if my mother told me, I would still be sceptical (probably more so! :) ). It has NOTHING to do with ignorance - your mother probably genuinely believes what she saw was a ufo. But that doesnt mean it *was* a ufo. Give me more proof rather than second hand stories. Something physical and testable - i too, would love to believe in aliens and antigravity devices (hey, it'd make my job a whole heap easier!), but i *know* no one has a viable antigravity device - I mean, we dont even know how gravity *works*.

Be sceptical, and you tend to get better answers.

17. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

Well, if the spectators couldn't identify the object, technically speaking, it would be an Unidentified Flying Object 'ufo'.
    :p

-Dr. D.

18. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

take some spider silk, mix it with goat DNA, get the silk enabled milk from the goat, and make armor from it...doesn't that sound disguesting?
    anywho, anti-grav would be cool...but dangerous in my opinion...that could do some funky stuff to space/time...interesting thoughts though...

19. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I am not saying its alien,probably US Army or something.
    She exactly described that object and said it was clearly visible... It was flying saucer standing still on altitude of cca 500m,with lots of lights all around it. Saucer was making no noise.
    And as for "your mother probably genuinely believes what she saw was a ufo" thats definately not true,she doesn't really care what she saw,she accidentally told me that story. And as I said,her colleague was with her,a math professor.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Lets get one thing clear right now. Negative ion propulsion systems are nowhere near refined enough to levitate an object. And NIP is NOT antigravity! It works the same way jet engines do: Particles are accelerated to a tremendous speed and shot in one direction. The friction and "bounce" that is caused is what propells the object. So far, the only thing we've come up with for ion-propulsion is an air filter. I'm not saying that the technology doesn't hold promise, but it's far, far off, even for the military.

And I'm not going to even get in to the "my mom saw a UFO" dealie.

:)
    pnw

21. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

You ignorant....grrra arrghhg:D
    Well,I cant prove to you,but I know my mother saw flying saucer..

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I always though we were more terran but it seems we are branching off into protoss :D. I play way to much SC....

24. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

better them than the Zerg ;)