US Naval War War College Releases Adm. Nimitz's WWII Diary

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Feb 25, 2014.

1. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

For all of you history buffs out there, I hope you find this as interesting as I do.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/24/adm-nimitz-wwii-diary-to-be-published-online/

It is a long document that has been scanned into several pdfs.

http://usnwc.edu/Academics/Library/Naval-Historical-Collection.aspx#items/show/849

2. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As a historian, I love to see original sources made available to the public.

Nothing beats reading an original source, in some ways, it is like having a direct line to the past.

Thanks very much for posting this.

3. macrumors G3

rhett7660

4. macrumors 65816

monokakata

I'll join in thanking the OP for the link.

Most of my research and most of my creative writing have involved the Solomons, much of it during wartime or -- just as important for what I've been interested in -- the native peoples' perception of the war, well after it was over.

I'm anxious to read the volume leading up to the American landings at Torokina, on Bougainville, but it's downloading very, very slowly.

5. macrumors 65816

monokakata

I just finished the July-December 1943 PDF.

Unfortunately, "diary" in this context means daily summaries of reports from the field, initialed by Nimitz. I had forgotten that use of "diary," and had been hoping for a more intimate view of the Admiral's command decisions.

The only trace of the man himself appears to be his initials on each report.