US Netflix in Canada

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Silverrune, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Seeing as I have a home in the USA but primarily live in Canada, would I be able to sign up for a US netflx account and access the same content in Canada without using a Proxy?

2. macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

No Netflix takes your dns of your location and gives you the content from that location: so if your in Canada you have Canadian Netflix when your in the states you have American Netflix I believe.

3. macrumors newbie

This is correct. When in Canada, I use hotspot shield to connect to US Netflix and it works great.

4. macrumors newbie

ehPhone

I'm in Canada and access US Netflix with a service called Unblock US. (Not affiliated in any way) It's about $5 a month, very straight forward to use. I put the settings into my Time Capsule and any Mac, iPhone or iPad in the house get's US Netflix. Once in awhile, there is content that I want on Canadian Netflix that isn't in the US, and it's very simple to switch back.

5. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Install the Hola addon for Firefox or Chrome and see what happens. Hopefully Canadian Netflix doesn't override it!

6. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

7. macrumors 603

cambookpro

I use this on my Apple TV and Mac - really easy to do, cheap and quicker than a proxy.

8. macrumors 68000

Tsuchiya

For desktop browsing, Hola works very well.

We've been using it for Netflix and Hulu. Once that inevitably fails though, Unblock US seems to be the way to go. I think I'd happily pay monthly just to access US Netflix. It's just so much better than what's offered here in the UK.