US obese dogs to get diet pills

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Jan 6, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- BBC

:eek:

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Very very sad world we live in when even our pets need diet pills.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I saw this in the news last night. F***ed up. Hello? Why not quit feeding the dog so much? Why not walk or run with the dog regularly? This is so typical of US attitudes. It makes me ill.

4. Queso macrumors G4

There was a TV programme on here a few months ago where a dog owner regularly fed her chihuahua curry. As a result, a dog that is supposed to only weigh 5-8kg weighed 18kg. And she honestly thought doing this proved she loved the dog :rolleyes:

My belief that humans are the stupidest animals on the planet is reinforced.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Richard Simmons should release some workout tapes for pets.:p

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Let's be fair. Individual dogs have predispositions toward obesity just as individual humans do -- it's not always as easy as "feed the dog less" or "exercise the dog more." For those particular dogs, this is a wonderful, long term, life prolonging, pain reducing thing.

Granted that y'all are likely right and this is going to become a cop-out for lazy dog owners (read -- people who shouldn't have a dog, anyway). Note the side effects, though ... loose stool/diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy.

Just imagine the phone calls vets are going to have to deal with -- "You gave my dog his diet pills and now he keeps pooping and vomiting on my floor!"

Delicious vicious circles ...