US Offers Aid to North Korea In Exchange For Scrapping Nuclear Program

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jun 23, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

U.S. incentives offer faint hopes at Korea talks

The flip-flopper-in-chief strikes again! Didn't Bush (and his many supporters around here) say that the Clinton policy of negotiating with NK was tantamount to the appeasment of Hitler? Now Bush is reversing course (once again) and is negotiating with a member of 'the axis of evil'.

So... what say you?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Glad to see he's so adaptable. ;)

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It is kind of heartening that even Bush will seemingly not consider a military action w/ reference to NK...I guess even he isn't that crazy...so what do you expect...bribery. Hey, it works too...in a cynical time, this is good news.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

the republicans gave clinton **** every time he changed a position. shoot, even his doonesbury symbol was a waffle. the administration has already branded kerry a flip-flopper, who is irresolute. considering bush just did a 180 and started "appeasing" a member of the "axis of evil", thus playing fast and loose with our national security (according to his own past words), i wouldn't mind if just this once the democrats nailed his ass to the wall.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe he has heard the many voices that felt North Korea was a greater threat to the US than Saddam was.

I saw the handwriting on the wall when the news came out about troop reductions in South Korea. I would say that this a positive step. I just hope that it is not election year politics.

6. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

I say he's screwing up and trying to out liberal the liberals again. :(
    Hopefully he's just stalling for time, after all our troops are busy elsewhere at the moment.
    Then again it should be the Chinese or the Japanese leading the offensive against N. Korea not us. We should not prop up that corrupt regime, the only reason they are becoming such a pain in the rear is because their government is going bankrupt. I say let it.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

"Out liberal the Liberals"huh...well, this type of diplomatic policy (such as it is) has been used by both parties alike.
    Are you advocating a military offensive against NK, Sly? You can't be serious...I guess you suscribe to the maxim "It is better to burn out than to fade away..."
    Asian nations (particularily China) have been pressuring NK (by Diplomatic means)...and I feel that Korean unification is only a matter of time...
    As far as the US "propping up a corrupt regime"...if I had a nickel...

8. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

I'm against military action against NK at this time.
    I'm also against paying them a freaken dime.
    They are in China's backyard let them deal with em.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

First line...Phew, I am Glad.

Second Line...which, considering the first line seems to advocate an isolationist policy, right? So we shouldn't meddle with other countries by financial inducement or direct military action...leaving what course of action?

Third Line...well the US did designate them as a problem and as part of the AOE, and there are Nuclear Profliferation issue the US has...but rest assured, China will. Out of curiosity, is not Iraq in China's "back yard" comparative to the US?

10. wwworry macrumors regular

Speaking of China, how come there is no global jihad against them? and don't they make practically everything sold in America?

Anyway, it's got to be cheaper than the $110 billion we are spending in Iraq. Why not just offer the guy $1 billion to leave? Who would turn down a cool bill?

and a new house with a 70" plasma TV with free cable and fully stocked bar

Maybe we could even have some sort of special deluxe resort for exile dictators. Halliburton could even get the contract. I'm tired of war.

11. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Iraq signed a peace treaty that was in our best interest to insure that they abided by it.
    Iraq was also a direct danger to our allies in the area as well as our interests.
    Korea isn't, yet. Maybe it might be a good idea to lob that new M.O.A.B. on top of their nuclear processing site and finish the argument right there. I don't see that as requireing much of a military action on our part other than sending the plane over.

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Hey it could be worse. Thats all North Korea wanted anyway.

13. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Yeah and we can solve domestic crime more cheaply simply by offering criminals 50 grand to stop being thieves. Wow you might have something there.[​IMG]