US Pharmaceutical Giants in $68bn Merger

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

No matter the economic turmoil, people will always need their horribly over priced drugs, and there's still big money being thrown around to dominate. Marvellous.

2. Guest

garybUK

3. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

How long before they go to the government, cap in hand? Too big to fail means too big to exist.

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but they also do very good things from time to time.

I believe our government is halting earmarking for companies ... not that it means they won't get their money, it just means they have to do it sort of under the radar.

5. macrumors 65816

iAlan

This will be one of the big mergers to play out in recent memory. Not sure if it will make it past regulators in all geographies, and what will have to be divested before approval is granted, but it will be interesting to watch the markets react to this in the coming days

And let's not forget that although there is a lot of negative press and opinions around drug pricing, it isn't till you (or someone you care about) really need access to a drug to cure, extend or make quality of life that much better, that you realize the value of medicine.

Although I hope that day never comes for anyone

6. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Which is precisely why I say drug companies are too important to be allowed to merge into a few 'mega-companies'.

The outcome of financial failure and/or the collapse of one is potentially too dangerous to our health. And too expensive for taxpayers.

7. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

at least they're not trying to get the bail out money.

8. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Not yet, at least. But by merging to create a mega-company they potentially become to big to be allowed to fail.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jan/26/pfizer-pharmaceuticals

What can I say, I'm a cynic!