US project seeks to make the family car a cash cow

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Story

Very interesting concept here.
  2. niuniu macrumors 68020

Mar 29, 2009
    A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    That's looks pretty awesome at first glance, hopefully it holds up and turns into something useful :)
  3. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2009
    I saw the thread title and thought, wtf, the family car is already a cash cow. Just not for the families who own one.
  4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Oct 22, 2007
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    Great..... Park your car on Friday with a full tank of gas, full battery.... go to work on Monday and find you have to fill up the tank on the way to work. :rolleyes:
  5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    Exactly what I was thinking. Unless your car is able to cheaply (and cleanly) generate it's own power, I don't really see the point.
  6. Skuman macrumors member

Jan 15, 2009
    So your car battery acts as a temporary provider of electricity when power spikes occur? What about gas, hydroelectric, nuclear: they all presumably can increase or decrease power quite quickly. The battery efficiency is not 100% so there will be some wastage. Where I live in the evening in winter, hot water cylinders are turned off - this smooths out the 6-9pm peak as people are cooking dinner.
  7. Buzz Bumble Guest

Oct 19, 2008
    New Zealand
    What?!? They've got enough problems trying to get electric cars have a decent range as it is, let alone wasting time trying to get them to have excess energy. This is almost as silly as the fools wanting to put a sound on electric cars (so pedestrians can hear them), but making suggestions like using the sound of cows mooing, birds, and breeze through trees. :rolleyes:
  8. Buzz Bumble Guest

Oct 19, 2008
    New Zealand
    The best solution would be to wire the wheel your hamsters / mice run in up a generator linked back into the electricity supply the mains supply. That way when they run all day in the wheel they are uploading electricity for you. :)

Even better, get a bigger version and get the kids to run in it during the evenings and school holidays. ;)