US project seeks to make the family car a cash cow

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Feb 19, 2010.

1. macrumors 601

mscriv

Full Story

Very interesting concept here.

2. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    That's looks pretty awesome at first glance, hopefully it holds up and turns into something useful :)

3. macrumors 6502a

I saw the thread title and thought, wtf, the family car is already a cash cow. Just not for the families who own one.

4. macrumors 603

Great..... Park your car on Friday with a full tank of gas, full battery.... go to work on Monday and find you have to fill up the tank on the way to work. :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Exactly what I was thinking. Unless your car is able to cheaply (and cleanly) generate it's own power, I don't really see the point.

6. macrumors member

So your car battery acts as a temporary provider of electricity when power spikes occur? What about gas, hydroelectric, nuclear: they all presumably can increase or decrease power quite quickly. The battery efficiency is not 100% so there will be some wastage. Where I live in the evening in winter, hot water cylinders are turned off - this smooths out the 6-9pm peak as people are cooking dinner.

7. Guest

What?!? They've got enough problems trying to get electric cars have a decent range as it is, let alone wasting time trying to get them to have excess energy. This is almost as silly as the fools wanting to put a sound on electric cars (so pedestrians can hear them), but making suggestions like using the sound of cows mooing, birds, and breeze through trees. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68030

Iscariot

9. Guest

The best solution would be to wire the wheel your hamsters / mice run in up a generator linked back into the electricity supply the mains supply. That way when they run all day in the wheel they are uploading electricity for you. :)

Even better, get a bigger version and get the kids to run in it during the evenings and school holidays. ;)