US PSP info announced...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZildjianKX, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

CNN

I am utterly dissapointed. Sony ruined all hope of killing the DS in the US. I'm really thinking about cancelling my pre-order... I don't want their horrible headphones, cheap remote, overpriced memory stick, and soft case (they all got bad reviews at IGN.com).

I just want to use my expensive headphones, buy a hard case, use my existing duo card, and pay $150-180 for the system... Sony screwed this up pretty bad.

2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Wow, holy crap that's expensive. A $249 system with $40 games? That's just as expensive as owning a console.

3. Cfly macrumors regular

not a bad price

$299 canadian to play ps2 quality games, movies, and listen to music and it includes a bunch of accessories

compare that to $399 canadian for an ipod which plays mp3's.

wait a few months and there will be a standard pack

also there is 24 launch titles which is good news when you compare it to the ds that still doesnt have 24 titles and has been out since november.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

there isn't another console on sale at all in the US for more than 150 dollars.

This just means I won't be getting one of the first revisions of the PSP...oh well. Maybe they'll come with a hard case by the time the price drops to something reasonable.

5. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Not having a stand alone unit like the Japanese market has is pretty bad. Not to mention this is the first Sony system that is more expensive in the US than outside of Japan. Most people were expecting a $150-180 price range for the stand alone unit...

Someone else just mentioned that most games will retail at $50 with some being a $10 cheaper... this is insane. Sony blew their chance to be competitive with the DS.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

7. Cfly macrumors regular

If nintendo came out with a half decent portable i agree that they would sell alot more than the psp but it is so crappy and such a dumb idea, that the psp will outsell it.

The psp is cheaper in canada too :)

299cnd=240US

8. mcarvin macrumors regular

Right on. Remember way back when iPod mini rumors kicked up and everyone was like "It can't be more than $150 blah blah blah"? Apple announced it at $250 and it sold like crazy.

The brand "Apple" carries with it a certain cachet. So does the brand "Sony" and by extension, "PlayStation". Nintendo has a different reputation in the marketplace - not necessarily better or worse, just different.

The PSP will most likely meet or exceed, but it sure won't be a flop.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Heck yeah! I can't wait for the PSP to get here. I just hope Wipeout Pure and Medievil are both available on day one.

10. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, one out of those 2...

# Ape Escape: On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    # ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    # Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Capcom
    # Dynasty Warriors, KOEI
    # FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts
    # Gretzky NHL, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    # Lumines, Ubisoft
    # Metal Gear Acid, Konami
    # MLB, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    # MVP Baseball, Electronic Arts
    # NBA, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    # NBA Street Showdown, Electronic Arts
    # Need for Speed Rivals, Electronic Arts
    # NFL Street 2 Unleashed, Electronic Arts
    # Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory, Konami
    # Ridge Racer, Namco
    # Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive
    # Spider-Man 2, Activision
    # Tiger Woods PGA TOUR, Electronic Arts
    # Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision
    # Twisted Metal: Head On, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    # Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment
    # Wipeout Pure, Sony Computer Entertainment America
    # World Tour Soccer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

11. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

whoopty freakin doo....Thats like saying you're exited about getting a Ford Taurus... Crap on a stick for sure ... Disc format on a portable gaming device is a nightmare.

All I know is I hope it is built better than the ps2 was, beacause it was crap at first, power supply next to optical drive, yeah thats smart.

I wanna see one taken apart..

But, if I wanted japanese RPG's I guess I'd get one...

12. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Ask you you shall receive...

Here

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The UMD format works fine for gaming I own 4 PSP games and the loading time isn't noticable at all when you are caught up in actually playing the game, the longest loading times I've noticed are when you actually boot a game for the first time, after that it's fine IMO.

The build quality of the Japanese PSP is great btw, I've been using mine for ages now and I still haven't had 1 single problem with it. The comments about the headphones/remote/case above are a bit weird, the headphones/remote work fine no they aren't the same quality as my Sennheisers but they are great for playing games, and listening to music now and then. The case is okay, it's just something to put the PSP in. One thing I have to comment on though is battery life, I've read a lot of stuff saying how bad it is but I've found the opposite, I get maybe 6 or 7 hours with Ridge Racers, and the other games I have it's around 10 hours but I don't play the game with the sound on full which seems to be the way to test these things even though it makes them too loud to use.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is even though they say the games aren't region coded how come all of the games I own have a Region 2 icon on them? I'm hoping the games aren't region coded at all, but we wont know until the world wide release March 24/25.

The price of the US model might seem a bit high but don't forget in the Japanese Value Pack you don't get a demo disk (this was only in the 500 Sony auctioned off to help with an earthquake relief program) and you don't get the Spider Man 2 UMD. Are these extra items worth it? IMHO no - the UMD video format is pointless at best, and demo disks get used once then lost.

All I hope is the US games are compatable with the Japanese PSP if not I'll buy a US one too, it's still the worlds best portable console, and I'll go as far as saying it's my favourite console EVER.

14. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

thanks for the link...

Though I would try one, I probably would bever buy one, But thats because none of the games interest me.

15. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. The DS is an interesting idea, but it is more of a gimmick than a serious competitor. I still consider the GBA SP to be Nintendo's flagship handheld. I just hope Nintendo gets the next Game Boy out before too long in order to really compete with the PSP.

16. applekid macrumors 68020

It does look like that Value Pack is really overpriced. Originally I thought, "hey, what a great idea. People are gonna need a Memory Stick and probably could use a case." I never thought about the cost, but after seeing that, it shows it ain't cheap! The PSP probably would've been around $149-199, if it was sold as its handheld-only package (which still includes battery and AC adapter). I'm seeing Memory Stick Duos for $20-$30. Those accessories are probably (or definitely should be) well over $100 by Sony's retail prices. Then they toss in Spiderman 2 in that package. So yeah, I guess that Value Pack is more expensive than I first thought.

I find the part about Sony trying to compete with the iPod, not Nintendo DS in the CNN article confusing. I thought Sony gave up fighting the Apple iPod?

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sadly, places like Gamestop are only selling the PSP in bundles that START at $400 and go up from there.

I'm interested in a PSP, just because I'm such a gadget freak and a Sony fan. But I ain't buying a $400 bundle that is just designed to pad the retailer's bottom line. When I can buy a PSP by itself and just the games that I want, then I'll buy one.

18. Koree macrumors 6502

If they fix some of the issues... i might buy it. I like my DS very much though. Something I am very worried about is the flying disks hitting students at school :D

Wouldn't it be great if you could get spring upgrades to make em go farther? :cool:

19. risc macrumors 68030

risc

That's the spirit keep spreading the same old FUD, and even though I own a PSP and it's never happened to me I'm sure you are right! You forgot to mention the 6 minutes battery life when you play games too.

20. mcarvin macrumors regular

Some store somewhere will offer the basic package at the $250 price point. I hope. Otherwise, I am in now way, shape or form, paying for a package that includes Metal Gear Acid, which I most likely will never ever play.

Now Wipeout on the other hand....mmmmmmmmm

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Wipeout is the reason I bought my Playstation back on launch day in 1995, and Wipeout XL a couple of years later. I even have the Wipeout XL soundtrack CD, with tracks by artists such as Future Sound of London, Fluke, The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, and Orbital (my first exposure to the Hartnoll Bros.).

Gimme a PSP and Wipeout, and I'll be happy.

22. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

6 minutes of battery life? are you kidding me? that sucks! No way i'm getting one if it's always gotta be plugged in.

The price is ridiculous too. You can get them on ebay for that price right now. i saw one end just yesterday for $253 USD. It'll kick the crap out of a DS though. My cousin just got one, and i wasn't nearly as impressed as i thought i would be. it's still cool looking, but nowhere near as cool graphics as a psp. Hopefully they'll have some games come out that rock the doghouse. The two screen thing is a little awkward too. The DS has better battery life than 6 minutes though! perhaps that'll help them out.

23. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Wow they total ripped off the iPod with the headphones and remote...

On another note my heart is torn I love the nintendo titles (zelda smash bros ext..) but the PsP is faster, has a better screen, looks cooler, and its save files can be edited. I just don't see why ninteno had to make there system underpowered compared to the PsP.

24. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, you shouldn't think of the Nintendo DS as the direct competitor with the PSP and remember a true successor to the the GBA/SP will come shortly. A recent Pocket.IGN.com mailbag article mentions that the GBA's successor should be as powerful as a GameCube, bringing up specs that will compete with the PSP. I think their mailbag article also mentions that an announcement about the GBA's successor should be coming soon (my guess is E3 with the Revolution making an appearance as well. But I think it'll only be a prototype at best.) And Nintendo may uncover its internet gaming service soon which may apply to the DS, GameCube, and/or Revolution.

But, most importantly, you should care about game quality, not all of those hardware features. From knowing Nintendo, their games are always satisfying, something you can say for only a few game developers. It comes down to gameplay, not graphics and definitely not hardware features.