US reaches 1000 deaths in Iraq.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Sep 7, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

What does Iraqis defending their country against an illegal occupier have to do with terrorism?

Why don't the "Christians" who support your leaders, ever get het-up about the constant lies and misdirections of this administration?

Commandment 9 is "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."

Why is it ok for your Government to do this constantly and yet still have the support of the "Moral Majority"?

2. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I concur whole heartedly.. But ive realised that argueing this with any one is argueing against a wall.. so live and let live :-D

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Quite a milestone...

on a side note, it is interesting to note that only 15 short years ago, the Russians were our enemy. And Iraq was...

attention spans...gotta love t...ooooh shiny,pretty....

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I find it depressing that we only count US military deaths, and not Iraqi civilian deaths. Hey, all in the name of terror, though, right?

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think I lost track of Iraqi deaths around 10 - 12,000. I'm afraid of what it is now.

6. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Well put. This is what most Americans just don't get; in this situation, America is the terrorist.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Seems like it hardly matters to most in the US. 40 Iraqis get blown up and the corporate/conservative media hardly reports it. 7 US Marines get blown up and it's front page headline all day. Just one more example of the corporate/conservative media bias in our society.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Neserk

I read this morning that Iraqi civillian deaths count at "around" 10,000 and Iraqi Policemen and soldiers around 5,000.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This almost seems like a chicken-and-the-egg deal...The News media only reports about the deaths that are important/relevant/understandable to us (US forces), because we cannot relate or do not have the proper context to care or understand about (in this case) Iraqi deaths.

We do not have the proper context/ability to relate and care about Iraqi deaths, so the Media does not report them...and because the Media does not report them...

you get the idea...

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-blackfox

That's an interesting point. Media must deliver to the lowest common denominator. And there are far more stupid people than smart ones.

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

So 15,000. I'm not sure if my original tally included only civilians. Sounds like it was all Iraqi's. Thanks for the info -- as depressing as it is!

12. ocellnuri macrumors regular

As far as I'm concerned, it's not ok. That's why I'll be doing my part to get rid of the current administration in the upcoming election. I just hope the Moral Majority gets counted this year.
    :mad:

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

:D I think more people need to get angry. Where is Dean when you need him?

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Meanwhile, Don Rumsfeld comes out of hiding just long enough to insert his foot into his mouth:

President Bush did not directly comment on the tally, but Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld cast the death toll as evidence that the U.S. was aggressively engaging terrorists around the world. At a Pentagon news briefing, he said that in the overall scheme of the Iraq war, the losses were "relatively small."

"Taking the offense … of course has its cost, just as staying on defense has its cost," Rumsfeld said before the White House had announced the death toll. "And soon the American forces are likely to suffer the 1,000th casualty at the hands of terrorists and extremists in Iraq. When combined with U.S. losses in other theaters in the global war on terror, we have lost well more than 1,000 already."

He added: "If you think about the fact that we have thousands of patrols every day … if you take all of those patrols, and look at the number of incidents, they're relatively small."​

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-fg-iraq8sep08,1,1988240.story?

Relative to what, Don?

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

For anyone who's interested, I wrote a satirical article about this today.

16. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Wasn't Saddam's score over 2 or 3 million? Compared to that 1000 is nothing.

17. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

What if it was 3,000?

I've been wondering lately. What would public opinion be like if the American death toll was greater then or equal too the aprox 3,000+ people that died on 9|11. Personally I think it would give people pause for thought.

All I know is the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard it rolled over to 4 digits was: could this cost the Shrub the election. Not for the brave men and women who gave their lives. Not for the people they left behind. Quite honestly I've never hated someone so much in my life and it irks me that those people didn't come first. Damn him for setting his entire presidency up in a way that makes me loath him with every fiber of my being. I've never been a fan of any president but Shrug takes the cake. I shouldn't have to feel this way about the leader of my country. The feelings being anger and embarrisment. I've actually apoligised to several international friends I have for the bahavior of Shrub and the people he's put in place.
    :(

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

So wait, it's all okay, because SADDAM is evil?

But aren't we fighting the "terrorists" now? Saddam has been captured, remember, so if we're counting bodies, I think we've done a lot more damage than they have: 15,000 (military + civilian deaths in Iraq) to 4,000 (1,000 troops + 3,000 9/11 victims).

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm does this 1000 include killed 'civilian contractors(armed for self defense)' from security companies ?
    coalition or US only ?

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

2-3 is the score of that cambodian guy
    saddam has more around 1 million including wars but i might be wrong...

and of course 20 years ago the US was perfectly fine with him being in power...

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

actually if you count iraqi military from the beginning of the "awe" bombings you have to add 30,000 (according to pentagon estimates).
    plus of course another 12,000-15,000 of casualties (total) in afghanistan.
    so the total is well over 50,000 "terrorists".

22. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

20 years ago he wasn't rubbing our noses in his defiance.
    20 years ago Russia was our enemy.
    Things change.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah the "freedom fighters" of 'Rambo III' noticed that as well ;) (that irony makes the movie even more funny ...)

i wonder who will be the enemy/'evildoers' in 20 years...anybody wanna guess ?

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not sure exactly who, but I am sure we are supplying them with arms right now...

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think the chinese are capable of making their own