US robot builds copies of itself

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blue Velvet, May 12, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4538547.stm

The Machine Wars have now started. :D :eek:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

until they have AI things will be okay, sure the ability to reproduce isn't unique, but the need and desire to certainly is

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Am I the only one that is getting a little worried by these types of developments? Robots that can run and climb stairs, play football, now robots that can reproduce themselves (all be it on a small scale, for the moment :eek:). Maybe I've just been watching too many films...:eek:

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Anyone who watches Stargate SG1 knows this is a bad thing! :eek: :p

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Bring 'em on! It'll take decades before they rise up and enslave or destroy all humans. I want to enjoy my waning years with robot servants catering to my every whim...OK, not EVERY whim! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

6. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Yes could be very bad, hopefully nothing will ever be that advanced.

Only 64 days left till stargate :D

Nuc

Attached Files:

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real. What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Maybe the robots are already in control :eek:

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Haven't computer viruses done this for some time now?

As for the robots doing it, that doesn't even seem that monumental. Unless the robot can sense when it needs another one of itself, then go make a copy, that's cool. Being programmed to make a copy is not all that impressive.

9. Maedus macrumors regular

They can climb stairs already? :eek: But that was the only thing that could protect us from the almighty Daleks was their inability to move up stairs and ledges! Now we'll all be destroyed by stair climbing salt shakers! :p

Hehe, sorry. Was searching online for Dr. Who DVDs the other week. :D

10. altair macrumors regular

You sir win the Funniest Comment of the Day award.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When computers finally overtake the planet, who will control them? Programmers!

Ha ha! Muahaha! MUAHAHAHAHA...

Oh wait, hold on a sec, there's somebody at the door...

gasp... aiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee.... clang! thud!

12. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Reminds me of a Ken MacLeod series...

Once our soon-to-be robot masters attain consciousness and the ability to replicate, it makes you wonder what they'll do. I just finished the "Fall Revolution" series by Ken MacLeod (The Fall Revolution, The Stone Canal, The Cassini Division, and The Sky Road) in which AI/machine/human templates aka the "fast folk" replicate themselves. In addition to the other references on this thread (Dune, StarGate, Asimov, etc.) it presents another hypothetical conclusion to these kind of technological advancements.

13. Crikey macrumors 6502

I read the other day that the U.S. Army is 42% below its recruitment quotas for the year and for the first time ever the Marines are below quota too. I wonder if any of the recently-approved war money ($82 billion, was it?) will be going toward mechanical G.I. Joes.

Crikey

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Actually, I think if computers overtake the planet that means they are controlling themselves ;)

15. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Where did you get that widget?

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Is that a Stargate Widget?

I was in Blockbuster tonight and saw a Stargate Magazine - I couldn't believe it..... :rolleyes:

D

17. ig goe macrumors newbie

to late

The US Army already has mech G.I. Joes in Iraq. There code named S.W.O.R.D.S. and hit (kill) a target the size of a nickle at 1000yrds. No Lie. There kind of like a slow remote control car. Humans do however run the show.

400 iMac still kickin. :eek:

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They don't need to be that intelligent to cause issues. Look at bugs. Imagine a bunch of robot locust-like creatures. :eek:

I often wonder if these scientists don't watch enough Sci-fi. Don't they know what could happen? Well, I guess it's just inevitable.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Then I'll wear a sophisticated robot costume (see below) and fool them into thinking I'm one of them.

I'm planning to go to this Robot exhibit this summer, and I promise to ask the robots what their intentions are, and report back to you.

Attached Files:

20. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I don't know if the Army and Marines are, but DARPA, DOD, Pentagon, etc. certainly are spending tons of money on this stuff. There are no androids yet -- nor any that are close, but there are wheel based and airborne robots, as well as lots of research in bionics -- using mechanical assist and computerized information assistants to augment soldiers' own strength and awareness on the battlefield.

Its a little freaky, but fortunately many years away from being any more than a small threat to civilians.

21. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Definetly agree, all that talk about saving the future for our children and their children.... screw em. Let's have our robot slaves now and let our kids deal with the whole pending robot revolution uprising enslavement holocost.

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It all reminds me of a line in Jurassic Park actually...
    (or something like that ;))

I think all these robotics/scientists guy are very much fixed on just wanting to see if they can do this and that, which is great and all. But think 50-100 years down the line, when the walking robots, the AI robots, and the self-replicating robots all become one :eek: I don't think what we only see in films now may be that far off from what *could* happen.

23. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Da - Da - Daaaaaaa!

24. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Forget the mechanical GI Joes, bring on the mechanical GI Janes. Hell, yeah! I'll take three, thank you.

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Meh, why would robots want to control people? Unless programmed to, but there is enough paranoia already built into people to prevent a robot takeover I think.

I'd like to think that robots are going to make the world a better place, but we'll have to see what the end results are. I have a feeling that they are being developed to fight wars with, killing is going to be so much easier when those controlling the machines are an ocean or more away. That would be ugly.

Course, there may be some social improvements too.