US 'Schools'

Discussion in 'Community' started by FireArse, Apr 11, 2005.

1. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm an Undergrad student on 1 year placement (having completed 2years of my Degree so far) and am thinking of further study in America.

I study Computer Systems Engineering in London and would like to do a Masters course in Business, Finance, Management or Economics. i.e away from Engineering. Don't get me wrong, I love engineering, but this placement has made it clear everything is going to the Far East.

Where would be good to study in the States? I've seen ASU - which was nice, but I dont know how popular it is for Business!

Thanks,

FireArse

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The most popular rating service for U.S. schools is U.S. News and World Report. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the best, but it's a good place to start. Here's their ranking of business schools.

A common complaint about the U.S. News surveys is they are so predictable: Harvard, Stanford, and the other top private schools always seem to top the list. It's harder to find good "values," or schools which average folk have a reasonable chance of getting accepted into.

Edit: Looking over the list, if you have a very strong engineering background, you might consider MIT (Sloan), or Carnegie Mellon, since they are leaders in engineering/computer science.

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Perhaps Indiana University would be a good choice. I seem to remember them having a really good buisness school.

4. FireArse thread starter macrumors 6502a

US Schools

Thanks for the Link - all very interesting stuff. We dont get to hear much about your Schools in the UK. MIT, Harvard & Yale seem to be known, but little else. I am into Engineering now - but I'm not going to waste my time on a Graduate Degree if there aint gonna be a worthwhile job when I leave.

MIT are interesting, but dont seem to have any Business subjects to offer @Masters' level.

Any others? Maybe in the South-West where its quite warm all year-round?

Thanks,

FireArse

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ummm... Did you check their Web site? Looks to me like they've got dozens of courses in management, and a whole separate section on economics.

If you're mainly interested in a good climate, then UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, University of Texas, and Rice would be good choices. If you want to make use of some of your tech skills, then consider schools well known for engineering/science (these are still Business schools, just located at universities with good Tech programs). Applying the climate filter as well, you might consider Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, the University of North Carolina, and maybe UC-Davis.

edit: Just in case there's any confusion on terminology: Any of the schools on the U.S. News site are going to be offering a Master's level degree -- generally the Master of Business Administration (MBA), which is seen as the key to corporate riches in the U.S.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Also, remember that you can get the two degree components from different schools. If your school of choice does not meet your needs for business, there may be a partner school that you can get the advanced degree at.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I go to the Walton School of Business here at the University of Arkansas. The Walton's our ton of money into our school, it's so nice. Also one of the top undergrad business schools in the country. Last time I read we were about 20 but I don't really keep up with it.

jon