US Sen Hatch hacks Dem's server and gets caught!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SPG, Nov 25, 2003.

1. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/politics/politics-congress-memos.html

That's a felony boys and girls. Not only that, but what if this wasn't the first time? Just goes to show you what the rethuglicans are not only capable of, but willing to do to advance their agenda.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: US Sen Hatch hacks Dem's server and gets caught!

Gald we're trying so hard to facilitate mature and rational discussions. :rolleyes:

Lethal

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Can you rationally and maturely defend the Republicans? They haven't used rational, mature debate to argue their agenda in quite a while. Reference: Rush Limbaush, Sean Hannity, Jerry Fallwell, et al. Maybe it's time the Democrats stopped letting them control the debate and getting away with murder.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

When did I try to defend anyone? I just think that SPG's flamebait is juvenile. The sophomoric name calling that most of the threads decay into is embarrassing enough. I don't see the point of starting off new threads in the gutter too.

Nice mini-rant BTW. Although I'm not clear as to what it has to do w/my post which you quoted. ;)

Lethal

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Flamebait? Maybe "rethuglicans" was harsh, but what is wrong with his statement?

It's a cyber Watergate.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

"Rethuglicans" is an obvious taunt. If someone posted in the Hardware forum and refered to Macs as "crapintosh" or "crapapples" I think that would qualify as flamebait and that poster would probably be called a troll more than once. I don't see how "rethuglicans" or "democraps" or any other derogatory remark is any different. If it serves no other purpose than to push people's buttons it's flamebait IMO.

Lethal

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

SPG may have baited in his message, but his quotation of the article showed the intent of his post, even though the merits of his tactics are debatable.

I quoted you, LethalWolfe, because rather than taking issue with the article, you took issue with SPG. Your responding purely to his flamebait and ignoring his article is, in its own way, just as bad. IOW, you stayed at his level.

I thought it was a pretty good mini-rant, myself, thank you. ;)

8. wwworry macrumors regular

Who was it, exactly, that ousted the CIA agent? Is a paid leave (for the staffer) a punishment, or a vacation/reward?

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Getting back to the subject for a moment, I have to be a little amused by Hatch's righteous indignation over his staffer's bad (and presumably, illegal) behavior. I mean, Sen. Hatch must think we've never witnessed any of his abrasive political warrior tactics; eg accusing Democrats on his Judiciary Committee of being bigoted against Catholics and Latinos for opposing two Bush court nominees. Anyone who is willing to go as far over the top in pursuit of his political agenda as frequently and with as much vinegar as Orin Hatch cannot credibly profess shock and dismay when one of his staffers follows his example.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

odds are mr. hatch is upset ony because the kid got caught.

11. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

Okay, the rethuglican name wasn't intended for all republicans or even conservatives but intended to adress the illegal actions of a thug for republican gains. I guess I should have either written my intent more clearly or avoided it's use altogether, but I was going to be late for a dinner party if I really got into it last night. My apologies to any republican who thought it was aimed at them, unless of course they are also involved in illegal or brutish or unethical or otherwise thuglike behaviour.

12. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

presume no more:

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So, did you have a good time at the dinner party?

A bit more clarity would have been appriciated. For example, something along the lines of "Republican, Hatch is more like a rethuglican" would have been quite amusing. :)

Back on topic, sort of, what's the name of that senator who thought P2P users' computers should be remotely detonated? For some reason that's the first thing I thought of when I read this. :D

Lethal

14. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

Yes Lethal, dinner was quite nice.
    No, I don't recall who if anyone said that, but it seems a fairly ludicrous statement.
    I haven't really seen too much about this hacking incident in the papers, it seems to be getting buried down in the teens and twenties. Why's that? I read this last night and was blown away. One senator's staff stealing private memos from the opposition seems like a big deal to me, then again so does revealing the identity of a covert CIA operative or lying about the reasons to wage war, but those stories seem to be getting buried too.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

None other than...

Orrin Hatch:

I wonder if he'd support legislation that destroyed your computer when used to hack into a political rivals systems.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about legislation that destroyed your political career when your computer was used to hack into a rival's system?:D