US sends home 14 Saudis from Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 24, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reuters

interesting. first, this was done on a saturday, so i suspect the administration isn't going to be trumpeting the release of 13 uncharged persons detained (and probably tortured) for nearly 5 years.

interesting statement from the afghan official about the impending repatriation of the remainder of the afghanis. i wish the article had been more specific on if they're being released or will go on trial there. i wonder what kind of deal was made.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Guantanamo has become an embarrassment because few if any detainees could be charged with anything, many can't be sent back to their own countries for fear of being tortured :eek: , the international community is grilling bushco about it and it will hurt the repubs this fall.

It will be interesting to see what kind of spin they put on the eventual release of 95% of the detainees. 4% will have been tortured to the point where they will have no hope of a normal future life and 1% will be guilty or somewhat guilty of terrorist related charges. What a sham.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Looks like they were absolutely correct in their belief, "mystical" or not.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, if he wasn't one before, he might be now. I'd be pretty pissed at us, but of course we don't know how badly he was treated. Maybe he'll work toward improving things from within the system, maybe just go home bitter with some pay off money... but we could have made an enemy where there wasn't one before.

I think Stephen Colbert did a bit about this.