US should weigh war on terrorism tax - Lieberman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Poor you Americans!

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N06252236.htm

US should weigh war on terrorism tax - Lieberman

WASHINGTON, Feb 6 (Reuters) - Sen. Joseph Lieberman said on Tuesday that Congress should consider a tax to fund the U.S.-declared war on terrorism and reduce the need to cut domestic programs to pay for security spending.
    A former Democrat who supports the Iraq war and backs President George W. Bush's plan to send 21,500 additional troops to Iraq, Lieberman said the proposed increase in the Pentagon's budget for next fiscal year will squeeze funding for critical domestic programs.
    "I think we have to start thinking about a war on terrorism tax," the independent Connecticut lawmaker said. "I mean people keep saying we're not asking a sacrifice of anybody but our military in this war and some civilians who are working on it."
    "When you put together the (Pentagon) budget and the Homeland Security budgets, we need to ask people to help us in a way that they know when they pay more it will go for their security," he said during a Senate panel hearing on the defense budget request.
    Bush on Monday asked Congress to approve $700 billion in new military spending and to curb many domestic programs. The request includes $245 billion for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars between now and late 2008.
    If Congress approves the war funding, the United States will have spent $661.9 billion on combat in Iraq, Afghanistan and related activities.
    Increased defense spending since 2001 has come amid tax cuts that the Bush administration says were critical to keeping the U.S. economy strong after the Sept. 11 attacks.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Does Lieberman have Halliburton shares or something?

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now there's something guaranteed to piss off everyone. Tax is a four-letter word to the GOP, and Democrats aren't gonna be willing to raise taxes for Bush's war.

Lieberman's just trying to show his "independence". He knows this is a non-starter.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Congress can simply deny Bush the funds (in theory), can't they?

I suppose if cutting spending were really a big deal, maybe we can start with Lieberman's salary for starters.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think we should take Lieberman's salary as part of funding the war on terror. He's made enough by now. After that, he should be declared mentally incompetent and committed. What an idiot. What in the hell is he thinking?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's an amibiguous name, too. for example, i'd like to declare my *own* war on terrorism tax.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Probably true, but at least it's the right idea. I think showing the costs of this war as a way of convincing people to end it is better than hiding the costs by cutting domestic programs, especially if they were the domestic programs the Bush adminstration would most like to cut.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it's a great idea.
    just make it very progressive.

income......................% tax
    0-50,000$ ................ 0%
    50,001-150,000$........ 1%
    150,001-250,000$...... 5%
    250,001-500,000$...... 10%
    500,001-1,000,000$.....20%
    >1,000,000$.............. 30%
    and everything saved goes in education and research

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you got my vote.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Damn skippy. Bush likes to compare the importance of the WoT to WWII. Lets re-instate WWII tax levels. The war would end tomorrow. Of course, considering the Senate can't even muster the will pass a non-binding resolution the chances of anything useful coming out of that body is nil.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I was hoping maybe he was talking about a windfall tax on contractors to regain some of the money they get overcharging us.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ya know, sometimes I wish Joe Lieberman would just marry Zell Miller and get it over with.