US Soldier Admits Iraq Girl Rape

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Nov 15, 2006.

1. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- BBC

Hearts and minds?

2. macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Well, it's really no surprise that things like this happen in war zones. I hesitate to say that it's a natural side effect of war, but in fact it is.

Soldiers are trained to kill - basically, they learn to disrespect human life - and this attitude carries over in many cases to civilians.

When a person sees other human life as a potential target, the implications are obvious.

I'm not suggesting that all soldiers are rapists and murderers by any means, but I do think that the business of war tends to lead one to regard life as disposable. How could it not?

3. macrumors 65816

Does that really matter? The cause doesnt change the effect.

4. Guest

iGary

5. macrumors G3

clevin

well, maybe rape happens everyday, but the rapists won't kill victims' whole family and the rapists aren't from a foreign country.

6. Guest

iGary

That never happens in the states?

I'm just saying that sick crap like this happens every day - doesn't matter whether you're deployed in a foreign country or live in Detroit.

7. macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

That's true, but the chaos of a war zone makes such things more common, both by soldiers and the local idiots. If the chances of punishment for a crime are nil or unlikely, more people are going to commit crimes.

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Soldier breaks down during graphic account of girl's rape

- Independent

9. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Sick and filthy idiots. I know that this happens regularly but hearing it still makes me sick in the stomach. I just don't get rape and never will. The man broke down in tears too, I'm sorry I don't get that you scum. He should of been made to hear it all in one go, instead of leaving the court to 'gain exposure'.

I'm just glad that this was discovered and dealt with in a court of law.

10. macrumors 68030

princealfie

How can this be excused? War isn't good to begin with. :eek:

11. macrumors 6502a

I read the Independent's piece on it today and the part which stood out (of all things) was the US's initial attempts to blame "insurgents".

Ha! Seems like the best way to "minimize getting caught" is to be a cog in a poorly managed war machine.

As for "rape happening every day", only about 8% of reported cases in the UK are "stranger rape". So this kind of assault is less common, not even considering the whole raping-then-shooting-a-14-year-old-and-shooting-her-family-and-burning-the-corpses thing...

Mind you, I suppose in Iraq the chances are you don't know the occupying forces personally so that probably affects the numbers...

12. macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Why was his discharge honorable? The acts he committed should surely require dishonorable discharge.

13. macrumors 6502a

He was discharged before the allegations came to light.

Unless he was discharged afterwards and the FBI are trailing him in a black sedan, waiting to see if he will rape again.

14. Retired

psychofreak

Then how come killing an Iraqi militant is better than killing a civilian? Cause definitely changes the effect...