US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Pinto, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Pinto macrumors newbie

Feline Death link

President Bush said, "My advisers have informed me that these "tigers", have been known to attacks westerners in the past". "That such a weapon was found in the very center of Bagdad goes some way to confirming our suspicions that Saddam was an immediate risk to world freedom"

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has said in a statement to the commons that this tiger was a mere 45 minutes (via Concord) away from London. "Had this biological weapon of terror been introduced into the underground system during rush-hour, there could have been several deaths, and milliions would at least have been inconvenienced".

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, I understand the guy shooting the tiger in order to save his buddy.

Sorta wish he hadn't.

Never underestimate the power of a lowly grunt to really screw up the goodwill efforts of a lot of high muckey-mucks.

'Rat

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What I don't understand is why the hell that guy went in there. Talk about stupid.

4. Pinto thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You have young men with guns and to it you add a "little" alcohol, what kind of outcome can we expect? - I think most Darwin award recipients come from that combination.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There better be. Condoning this kind of behavior is not ok. If they don't punish these guys, and others who do stupid things, it affects our relationship with Iraqis. Which we're not doing that great of a job at anyway.

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

How many immediately recognized this as a metaphor for the whole Iraq excursion?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's a good one; he was just trying to free it and feed it, afterall.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean the tiger had WMD in there? Bad Kitty!:D

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

I am glad that the soldier did what was right which was protect himself and his peers. I am glad Mr. Bush & Mr. Blair were wise enough to understand the seriousness and potential danger of this animal.

Although I wouldnt go as far as to call it
    a "...biological weapon of terror..."

;)

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

What about the one who got drunk and went into the cage of an endangered tiger?

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

I think the guy was a dumbass, then again people who drink do all sorts of crazy things.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Re: Re: US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

Would you punish him?

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

for going into the cage? Yes. I would say that he endangered the lives of his peers, which as far as I know is a crime in the army....

16. Pinto thread starter macrumors newbie

It will be interesting to see what the official reaction to these soldiers will be, compared to the soldiers who have been murdering unarmed Iraqi civilians at road blocks etc.

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

many of these "unarmed" civilians are carrying weapons, they also shouldnt be hiding behind **** and jumping out, the soldiers have a right to protect themselves and when you have strange "unarmed" civilians there is a high risk of danger.....

18. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

drunk? guns?

They are allowed to get drunk and carry firearms?

who're the bigger dumbasses, these guys or their commanding officers that let them out to 'play'??

i_b_joshua

19. Pinto thread starter macrumors newbie

Last time I checked "unarmed" meant without weapons.

Remember that family who were slaughtered just for driving down the wrong street at the wrong time. All murdered by trigger-happy and nervous US soldiers. Do they give US Army guys amphetamine like they do the Air Force boys?

Just another case which according to the Army is "under investigation".

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Pinto, your rather casual use of the word "murder" implies that the soldiers are wilfully shooting people whom they know to be unarmed. Do you really believe that?

I can accept "overly nervous" or "inadequately commanded" or even "terminal dumb-butt", but I really doubt that it's actual murder as the term is defined in law.

On the tiger deal, somebody in that chain of command is gonna burn for letting it happen. Where'd they get that much beer, anyway? Seems to me you gotta get toward the "Bullet Proof and Invisible" stage to go messin' with real, live tigers.

'Rat

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've said it before and it bears repeating:

Infantry at this stage are the wrong tool for the job. **** like this (and the checkpoint killings) will continue to happen. It's not the troops' fault; their job is to keep themselves alive.

It's the fault of the command that has used them on the cheap when they should have been pulled out months ago.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Soldiers ain't cops. Trouble is that some of the folks coming to check points are specifically coming there to kill whoever's manning the check point. Doesn't matter if it's a U.S. guy or a Brit/whomever ally or an Iraqi cop.

Bush, et al, are suffering from the same lack of understanding of war as are the detractors.

No war is over until a 19-year-old Grunt can sit on his helmet and eat his MREs without worrying about his six.

'Rat

23. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

This is a joke, right?? The part about Bush and Blairs comments I mean.

How could you possibly refer to a tiger as a weapon? There are animals that dangerous allowed to roam the wild in the US. If a soldier went into a tiger cage to feed the animal, he pretty much deserved what was coming to him. Its a freakin' tiger!! And to think that they believe a terrorist could get a tiger onto a plane, into the US, and released into a populated area undetected...THAT'S funny.

Its got to be a joke...

Taft

24. Pinto thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, murder is the wrong word. Manslaughter would be a much closer to the mark.

My apologies.

25. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Re: US Soldiers save US mainland from dangerous tiger

Oh. My. God.

Please tell me you're kidding.

The soldier who shot the tiger was doing the right thing...but only by first doing a very wrong thing by letting his fellow soldier enter the cage in the first place. Any soldier who knowingly let his peer enter that cage without protest deserves reprimand. The soldier who entered the cage deserves a court marshal.

And you must be joking about Bush's or Blair's comments. "Mr. Bush & Mr. Blair were wise enough to understand the seriousness and potential danger of this animal"????? I could go back home to Iron Mountain, MI, go into the woods with a heavy tranquilizer gun, sedate a black bear and then turn him loose in downtown Chicago if I was so inclined.

ANIMALS ARE INHERENTLY DANGEROUS. They don't understand logic. They won't reason with you. Many are more powerful than a human. Should we eliminate them all? Or only those in the hands of terrorists like the Iraqi government?

There could be arguments made for destroying an animal if there was evidence of behavioral problems resulting from abuse, etc. But there is no justification for this incident.

I don't blame the army, or the Bush administration. But these guys deserve to be punished, and this type of behavior should be posted widely as being against army policy and grounds for court marshal.

Taft