US Spring

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Poff, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Some of us norwegians were discussing how :apple: can say spring and june at the same time, so I thought I'd ask. Is spring april-june in the States? Here it is march-may, but I understand this can be different in other cultures, countries, yadayada.

Thanks for answering. :)

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

As far as I know, in the Northern Hemisphere Spring starts March 20th and ends June 21st. I think the Southern Hemisphere has Spring from September 23rd to December 21st.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Most people define mar-may as spring but astronomically it ends with the summer solstice June 21.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's supposed to be 86º here today so it feels like it's mostly into summer already. I'm going to melt.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, we're running 15 degrees above normal. It was very tiring mowing the lawn for the first time yesterday.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Today's forecast is 79° in Willowbrook just outside Chicago, and we're a "cold" city in the United States.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

High of 61 today, but there are still glaciers in the parking lot of the business next door.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think other complicating factors are that all of us who touch up against formal education tend to think of it as "summer" whenever school gets out. Which, for most higher education institutions, is the beginning of May. So late May feels like Summer and not Spring, even though it is technically Spring. Secondly, the loosely-Summer-bound outdoor season runs between Memorial Day and Labor Day... traditionally, that's when people wore white, that's when pools were open, etc, etc. Making that entire time feel like it was technically Summer, even though it included June.

I grew up in Michigan, where there are four well-defined seasons (and where, although at least occasionally warm, March would never be mistaken for Summer). I live in Florida now, where of course we've returned to our 8-9 mos/year hotness. :) Outdoor pools are something I've already indulged in about thrice this season. :)

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Here's how I think of the seasons. Spring from St Patricks Day Till Memorial Day. Summer Memorial Day till Labor Day. Fall Labor Day to Thanksgiving. Winter Thanksgiving to St Patricks Day.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I was taught Spring consisted of the months February, March, April. May the 1st was always the first day of Summer.

Seeing people talk about late June being Spring makes my head spin. And not in a good way. Here's a link that sums up well how I see this.

To me, it seems just bizarre not to have the longest day of the year in the middle of summer and the shortest in the middle of winter.

11. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

Ugh. Don't say that - means I'll have to pull the old grass-wacker out of storage. Seems too soon for that...

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The way it works is that your hottest months are June July August, and the coldest are December Janurary February. Sept Oct Nov are transition months as are March April and May.

I always thought that January 1st should be the first day of Winter as its the shortest day.

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

In Washington State I can tell the changes in the seasons like this:

for Fall it's windy/rain/partly cloudy.

Winter it's rain w/chance of a day or two of snow

Spring it's half rain half sunny days

Summer has sun almost everyday

Never went by the calendar dates anyway.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

The joke in Pennsylvania is there are 2 seasons.

Snow and construction.

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Here in Quito, the seasonal change is wet - dry. We're coming in to the wet season which usually runs March-Junish, then back to dry season for about three months, etc.

Attached Files:

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They say this in Michigan too. Although now, they've worked out ways to extend construction into most of the winter months. :D