US Storms Iranian consulate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Jan 11, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

interesting how liberal media giant CNN includes this bit:
    ...but omits the bit from the BBC story that computers and papers were taken from the embassy. did those just walk out the door, too?

isn't raiding an embassy an act of war?

3. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

I believe it is an act of war, since the Iranian consulate would be Iranian soil.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yep, the US is not standing on moral or legal high ground here. If Iran should retaliate, it would be well-deserved.

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Well, there are lots of acts of war. Iran supporting attacks on US forces is an act of war.

Not that I mean it's time to nuke Tehran, I'm just saying, nobody plays by the rules in a battlefield. And does anyone doubt Iranian forces are in Iraq, and supporting the insurgency?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sure, but don't take a dump on my cupcake and call it frosting.

7. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

err, uh... touché?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nice. :)

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, given that the people usually referred to as "insurgents" in Iraq are generally sunnis and the Iranians are generally shi'ites, the answer to your question would be that most people would indeed doubt the Irainians are supporting the insurgency......it's the militias associated with various shi'ite political parties, including a number that are part of the USA supported Iraqi government, that are being supported by the Irainians

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well spotted.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Perhaps were looking for any excuse to start the air campaign on Iran? Standing around while Iran is advancing its Nuclear Weapons Program is still doing nothing. I wouldnt be surprised at all if George goes after Iran.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The linked article certainly leaves some doubt as to whether this building was an embassy at all...

I'm curious to find out some more definitive information.

I do think it's pretty funny that righties would get all worked up about a foreign country meddling in the internal affairs of Iraq to bring about a regime friendly to their interests. Isn't that exactly what we're doing there? Don't we have a longstanding policy of meddling in other countries affairs to benefit the US? Aren't many of these same righties advocating that we aid groups opposed to Tehran's government?

But of course, in righty-world if the US does it it's OK. If anyone else does it, it's an act of war. It's that whole 'lack of intellectual consistency' thing again...

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Only you British guys would understand that one; I have no clue. :confused:

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I got it...

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, it's called "icing" over here. I'm bilingual.

16. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

err, I don't know if I'm considered I righty. Hopefully I'm not considered much at all. (<---- there it is... jump on it!)

But I'm not worked up about Iranian influence in Iraq (influence which, whether directed toward Sunnis or Shiites, is certainly anit-US. duh.) I think it's a natural and predictable thing. As is the US's objective of thwarting their attempts.

I just don't think its worth saying this is against the rulebook, how dare we, when this exactly how the game is played.

Oh, and they raided our embassy first :p (Yeah, because we supported the Shaw :p :p )

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Actually, America's sole post-WWII goal has been to meddle in other countries' internal affairs. I doubt you'll find a single country in the world that hasnt' been meddled with under the guise of either "helping the poor heathens" or "bringing democracy to the oppressed masses."

18. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I want to move to Australia!!! :(

Bush needs his head examined. Personally I think he is unfit to serve our country. But then we would have Chaney and he isn't that much better. 2008 hurry up and get here.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True ,my guess is the President is a figure head for Cheney.
    Anyone remember how he was linking Iraq and Osama? 400 billion down the drain and We still have only 2 lanes on I95 in South Carolina? WTF

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't support the Iranians in this either, but I would point out that "supporting the Shaw" - is that George Bernard? - consisted first of all of overthrowing the elected democratic government of Mossadegh in 1954. Not altogether an innocent piece of politicking.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not a good choice if you want to get away from right wing lunacy in Government.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Iran envoy 'abducted in Baghdad' - BBC

And the 'ratcheting' continues...