US struggles to avert Turkish intervention in northern Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 23, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

(emphasis mine)

these are some serious "charges" levied by the turks, especially the bit about the US arming and funding a terrorist organization (surprise surprise). armed conflict w/ the turks is such a bad idea, but i don't suppose that'll stop bush from allowing it. another wag to get Prosecutorgate off the front pages, i reckon.

in other news, while in turkey, i often confused the PTT with the PKK (the turkish post office), with hilarious consequences.

2. Queso macrumors G4

The concept of a united Iraq needs to be put to bed. It was an artificial state in the first place, much like Yugoslavia. If the region is going to move forward it has to be on the basis of partitioning the country.

As for the Turks, let the EU put the pressure on there. Turkey is desperate to join and their membership hangs in the balance. A quick diplomatic word from Brussels about the consequences of crossing the Iraqi border would do much more than Washington getting involved.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i think that there are enough people in turkey who either 1) don't want to join the EU, and/or 2) believe that the EU will never admit them, that pressure from brussels is not guaranteed to be effective.

iow, which is worse for the turks: no EU membership, or a kurdish state?

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

yep, there's little hope of EU membership but there is a growing sense of Turkish nationalism fed by memories of the Caliphate. Add a little outrage towards the US and the mix is pretty explosive.