US Supreme Court Won't block Gay marriages!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, May 14, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

2. Saad macrumors member

Saad

I would imagine that the evangelicals are hopping mad. Most opposition to Gay marriage is bred out of perceived religous rules against homosuexuality, though that opposition would be nullified by the establishment clause.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Angels dancing on pins again...

4. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Does one have to be gay to come to the party? Hope not.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I've heard you have to "sign on to the homosexual agenda." :D

I know there will be parties, by both gay and straight, in the City when it is official. Now if the US Supreme Court would have the courage to do the same thing the Massachusetts Court did then that would be a hellva party. Hey, its only 50 years after Brown v. Board of Education - it could happen.

6. Saad macrumors member

Saad

American culture is pretty odd. Backwardly consevative in some regards, less so in others.

7. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Hmm. While I have personal convictions against gay marriages, it's not the Supreme Court's duty to determine what is moral. It is the Supreme Court's duty to determine what is constitutional. I can't see how gay marriages violate the Constitution, as some claim. :rolleyes:

Not throwing a party, not hopping mad, either.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Exactly my thoughts. I'm a rather conservative Christian, and I think that homosexuality is a sin and damnable just like all other sins. That still doesn't make it the government's job to ban it. The government doesn't ban thinking evil thought about your neighbor or lusting after your neighbor's spouse. It also has no problems with those who choose to engage in pre-marital intercourse other than to require them to take responsibility for their actions. Abortion on the other hand IS a matter that I think the government may decide upon because they can effect life and death of current and possible future citizen's of the nation.

9. acidrock macrumors 6502

I am a Christian and am for gay marriage. I belong to a UCC church in Seattle that accepts people for who they are, and anyone for anyone, including gay people. That is why I joined it. It shouldn't matter if two men want to marry, the thing that matters is they love each other. Margaret Cho made the argument that people seem to think that gay people can't raise children because we think they will turn out wierd or gay, well she said that the one thing children don't want to become is their parrents, so who are we protecting them from?

10. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Cool. My husband is a memeber of the local UU where we live.

11. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

12. acidrock macrumors 6502

13. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

They were just quoting ;)

14. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Woohoo:D Always makes me happy when americans don't live up to the prejudice I have against them!!!! Nice to know you're not all raving christian fanatics :D :D :D

15. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

ok if they won't stop gay marriages then how come they forbid me from marrying all in my harem? It just aint fair. :( Why is it gay marriage is being allowed but not polygamy? What happened to equal justice for all? Where is my fair treatment under the law?

16. Steradian macrumors 6502

Indeed that is another question that needs to be addressed soon, for polygamy is apart of many religions, and beliefs.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only if polyandry can be discussed too! ;)

18. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Polgamy and polyandry only make sense in a culture where there is a shortage of one sex or the other... and I suspect if you looked at things historically you'd find out that is where it has occured.

19. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Maybe you are still tipsy?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, I mean it: polyandry is bound to be part of SOMEBODY's religion, and if we're going to set the rules according to religious preferences, let's be fair and even-handed about it. The LDS can't have ALL the breaks.

21. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LDS have never practiced Polyandry ;) They have practiced Polgamy though...

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's what I mean. No special cases. :rolleyes:

23. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think you are confused... You do know polyandry is one wife, many husbands?

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Polygamy is marriage with more than one partner. Polyandry is marriage with two men and one woman (practiced in Tibet). Polygyny is marriage between one man and two women (practiced in many cultures.) Just thought I'd clear up the definitions. By the way we have been over this a million times already, but the reasons for banning polygamy is different than those for banning homosexual marriage. Those reasons may or may not be equally invalid, but they have to be dealt with on their own.