US terror watchlist 80,000 names long

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 8, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Better to be overly secure than to be risking lives? 80,000 people is a lot of people, I wonder how many of that percentage are innocent people who get placed on that list because of their name or such. I have heard that babies have been stopped because their names matched. That is crazy, and going a bit overboard. As Racial profileing was never a good idea in the first place. Just because a person is from the middle east, doesn't mean they are a terrorist. I wonder how many American citizens are on that list that have names matching.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Ha. I have a friend who is in part responsible for putting together the Watch List.

He, seriously, is one of the least responsible, most mistake prone people in my life.

Don't let the numbers make you feel secure -- where there are 80,000 blacklisted people, there are a world of morons working together to build that list ...

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm probably one of them.

I end up deadheading back from shoot locations all the time one-way, and ALWAYS get pulled aside for extra screening. :rolleyes:

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At this rate, by 2010 everybody in the world will be on the watch list.

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

*shudder*

:eek:

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Actually, you're on it four times. Once as you, once as you but at an old address, once with just your first initial instead of full name and once with the first and last names flipped around.

Crap. I've said too much.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

:eek:

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Consider yourself listed, you scurvy redcoat.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hey, not so much of the "scurvy": my Vitamin C intake is well over FDA standards.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha lol

i wonder if my friend who is living close to the US embassy in vienna is listed as well since who got pretty angry when US soldiers done roadblocks on austrian soil without allowance...

12. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Since 9/11, I have been pulled out of line for extra screening every time I've flown (about 30 times). Can't wait to fly to Denver on Wednesday.

13. tristan macrumors 6502a

It's too bad our government's incompetent, otherwise this list could have been really useful.

14. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I got pulled over once...

..because my bag was so full of various cables (computer stuff) that their scanner was useless :D :p

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i may have related this anecdote before, so excuse me if i'm repeating myself.

some years ago, i think it was '98, i flew to LA to be the sound guy on an interview for a documentary i was involved with. (the interview subject was michelle yeoh, so there was no way i was going to stay behind :)

the director and I flew into LAX in the morning and took the red-eye back, so it was a long day. we brought all the gear from chicago. at LAX, i sent the sound bag through the x-ray and got pulled over. they had me open the bag and pull some items out.

when i got to this thing:

[​IMG]

...she asked me what it was. it's normally called the zeppelin, and it's for protecting the shotgun microphone. it being late, and me being tired and in LA, i used normal industry lingo and said:

"it's for the shotgun".

(pause)

"MICROPHONE! the shotgun MICROPHONE!"

i was let through.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And now you're on the list, Mr. Contraband.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha reminds me of our class trip to vienna, on the first day a few friends found some cheap wire (3 meters or so) lying around somewhere and fooled around with it the whole eveing.. but somehow the next day it was forgotten and on the third day when we were visiting one of the synagoges in vienna (the oldest remaining one) when getting checked with metal detectors they found the metal wire again... i stil lrember my friends face when the security guy (from the israel) pulled out the wire and asked "what is this ?"
    absolutly priceless

other story: a friend who came back from holidays (where he grew a beard as well) went shopping the next day and used the tram for getting to the mall: on the way back after he entered the tram.. after a few meters the tram stopped and didn't move.. he thought something was wrong or an acident happend further along the rails so he didn't care and didn't really bother... then a police car overtakes the tram after 2 minutes with horns and flashing lights and he thinks "well looked like it was an accident"
    but then the polce men enter the tram talk with the tram driver and then head straight to my friend and ask him what he has in his bag ...
    yeah you guessed it.. the tram driver thought he might have a bomb in his bag and alarmed the police