US to sell fighters to Pakistan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The US government has approved the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan, Bush administration officials say

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4382735.stm

A US official denied the move would affect the regional balance of power.

"[The F-16s] are vital to Pakistan's security as President Musharraf prosecutes the war on terror," the administration official said.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh yeah, fighter jets don't mean **** do they :rolleyes:

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Okay, does Pakistan have some dirt on the Bushes or what? They had a military coup and sold nuclear materials to Iran, but they're our bestest buddies? Why in the world would we sell F-16's to them?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont forget they were also responsible for nuclear documents getting into other countries hands. Libya & who knows who else. We have a Democracy for sale. its not by the people for the people its more like by the Corporations and for the Special Interest.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I just read on MSNBC that the US is ALSO selling F-16s to India... in other words, we're making sure that both sides have the equivalent stuff (although India's armed forces are much larger than Pakistan's).

This is actually quite a coup for the US, since previously India bought most of their military hardware from the Soviets/Russians.

6. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

So what if the US sells them F-16s? The F-16 is a very low tech aircraft, and the sales balance out the sale by the Russians of Mig 27 & 29s, and Sukhoi Su-30s - all far more advanced aircraft. The US government is trying to placate the Pakistani government, and in particular ISI, to help "the War On Terror", however discredited that might have become. You should only be worried if the US wants to sell them the F-22, B-2 or wants them to join the JSF program.

7. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

No - they don't. The F-16 is an ancient piece of junk. If you read the msnbc article it quotes a "senior US official" saying the Indians want to buy the next generation of aircraft. The RAF passed on the option to buy the F-16 preferring the political, and misguided, decision to buy Typhoon. They have, at least, redeemed themselves by having an option on JSF. But air to air combat aircraft are worthless now, and the F-16 is less than superior as a ground attack plane.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

India and Pakistan are engaged in a pointless arms war. What a complete waste of money in areas that need so much work.

I guess the US isn't the only country that is becoming more and more militaristic. Iran is *supposedly* stockpiling weapons themselves, though I can't really blame them.

Sometimes it seems the world is just spoiling for a fight.