US & UK Bottom In Child Well-Being Tables

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ®îçhå®?, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Linky.

Just saw on the BBC news that the UK was bottom and was curious who came top and where the US was.

It is quite shocking that the two countries are called the most developed and advanced countries in the world and yet come 20th and 21st.

2. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

wow thats crazy investigation I mean UK wow I never expected this. Also the article mention they made a website for kids/teens to take a survey about this, in my head I am like if poverty doubled since 1969 that means demographically only those who can afford will be able to take the survey. It wont really be that accurate.

Where is the US in the scheme of this? I didnt get a solid reliable source when googling

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't understand what this result means. I don't think it means anything, really. How often a family eats dinner together at a dinner table isn't an indication of anything. Some families just like eating in front of the tele.

On the other hand, I'm not surprised that the US and UK ranked low, particularly the UK. And if Australia was on the list, I think they would rank quite low as well, although both higher than the US and UK.

I would have thought that Canada would rank in the top 6 or 7. :eek: Same with Norway.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Maybe they just have the most naturally miserable and whiney kids.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

And parents' responsibilites are...? You can't repair a failing society with initiatives. I don't know what you can repair it with, but I'm damn sure it starts at home.

6. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Kids in the UK are generally a total nightmare! Yes there are a lot of good ones but the one's that aren't stand out too much.

One of the reason I am moving out of the country. There is no way I am bringing a child into this world and raising them in the UK.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wouldn't either.

Nothing better than walking through the entrance of Archway station and having 6 or 7 eleven year old kids throw glass bottles filled with water at you. Lucky they hit my feet. Once they threw it, they ran. I just saw their heads as they left (they were standing on a raised level higher than I was, so I couldn't see them once they walked away). :mad:

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I can imagine the politicians trying to spin this story 'good'.

"In fact, if you look at the table carefully, you'll notice that we're not at the bottom, but actually we're the base. Or the foundation, if you will, for all of the other country's to build upon. Without the UK supplying this secure foundation..."

9. Queso macrumors G4

The Politicians are saying the Report is based on eight year old data and that everything is now rosy. I'm surprised they didn't have the cheek to pull their usual trick and blame it on the last Government (now out of power for 10 years).

One thing that everyone seems to be overlooking. It's not just children that get it bad in this country. The quality of life sucks in general for all social groups when compared to other industrialised nations. The UK simply doesn't value people, only money, and it shows in numerous ways.

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

As much as I hate it when Labour appear to believe the failures of the last administration absolves their own responsibility for current ills, the influence of the last Tory government can't be overstated. I think the chronic underinvestment in education during the 80's can explain a lot of these findings. The Milk Snatcher appeared to think the best route to a succesful post-industrial society was the almost complete dismantling of public institutions, undervaluing the importance of education in the process.

But, of course, Blair et al have had plenty of time to change things (or at least begin to change things).

11. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

That is SO true its actually scary :(

12. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is so true. The amount of good, responsible kids and teens who live around where i do, helping the community etc are always overshadowed by the violence shown by a vast minority. It is a shame that this happens especially if there are 3 of you walking down a road dressed smart/casual, people go into shops to avoid you.

Quality of life can be improved around the UK but i do not see Blair making an effort as he is retiring soon anyway. I think that this survey will just be brushed aside and ignored which, in a way, it should be as it is talking about stupid things but the fundamental signs are there that QoL needs to be improved.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Never going to happen. The UK establishment has always viewed the people as a) a workforce, and b) consumers. Although there are some signs of cracks in this attitude, such as London finally beginning to celebrate New Years Eve, the priorities of all public bodies are not aimed towards people being allowed to just have fun in the same way Australians, Italians etc. are able to. It's why the average Brit drinks so much compared to other nations. Drinking is the only pastime available to all.

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

And the connection between the Government, your Friday night fun and the state of British youth is what exactly?

15. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

What a bizarre conclusion from a random set of non-facts.

Drinking the only available pastime available to all? The probably says more about you then anyhting else. The alcohol culture is more relaxed and familial.

Most people dont need government help to have fun. Certainly the Australians, Italians etc in London dont.

Anyways, back on topic- I think the root of the problem is that social cohesion is breaking down- less of a sense of community, people are moving about more and are less rooted in the towns they are born in.

More and more communities are being gentrified and pricing locals out of their housing market. You only have to look for property in London or the South-West to realise that.

16. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Apart from me and my family and a few other families I know. I have to agree 100% with this. Ive been and continue to be bought up in a brilliant manner. But most of the country is not. I even at the age of 17 spend alot of time with my parents but there are many families where parent and child interaction is almost non-existent.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Who's talking about the Government? I'm saying the Establishment, meaning public bodies, Government, large business etc. This is a culture of have and have-nots. Although this report is about British Youth, the conclusion is relevant to the entire British population, and whether it is the lack of recreational facilities for youngsters or the shameful way this country treats its elderly, it is all run with one priority - Money. Check out our public transport system for instance and compare it to all those other countries on the list. Only the USA, equally anchored to the bottom of the table, has worse. Our schools are poorly funded, our hospitals run down, and local authorities are selling off leisure facilities to property developers to balance their own books. Something has gone seriously wrong with the UK. If they repeat this study on any sub-section of society they will get the same conclusions.

Great. I'll quote that to the bored teenagers I see every night knocking back cheap lager when I take the dog out, that's if they're sober enough to hear me.

18. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Likewise. I live in an area that is considered to be one of the most exclusive areas in the country (I dont mean to sound snobish) and here, there is still many families that do not care about their children.

19. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Foolishly, I forgot to delete "The alcohol culture is more relaxed and familial." from that sentance! But fun comes from imagination I guess.

I think you wrote a valid point rather clumsily. You make is sound very conspiritorial, as if its happened by design. I dont think its that sinister.

I do agree that Britain seems to be run on the basis of money, rather then value. Where is the value in cutting back on schools, hospitals and transport?

But then its too easy to blame it on anyone else other then the indivdual. I think the way the elderly are treated in the UK is all to do with society. 3rd world countries tend to treat their elderly with much more respect.

20. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You cannot blame the children for the fact that they live in a country and society that shows them no respect and has practically given up on them.

The UK was ranked 17th (of 21) in 'education', 18th in 'poverty & inequality', bottom in both 'family & friendship' and 'sex, drink & drugs'. Is it any wonder then that UK children were ranked 20th in 'happiness'?

For to long this government and governments before them have viewed single mothers and the poor as 'fair game' on which to score political points. For example, the poverty gap has grown under the Labour government, despite there pledge to cut the numbers of children living in poverty.

Society and the media then show these children, that have already been let down by the government and their family, little or no respect: they're all 'yobs' or 'chavs', looking to cause trouble, get laid and get a council house.

If you create an 'underclass' and then treat them with contempt, ridicule them at every turn, show them no respect and alienate an entire generation, then what response do expect from them?

We deserve the society we've created.

21. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

I blame culture.. Being well educated I can resist peer pressure and influence from music and movies and popular culture. I may listen to 50 cent but I dont act like him, I also blame Jade Goody and the word "celebrity" There are lots of stupid people my age who thinks it good to be stupid and unsocial. whatever happened to days where everyone wanted to be prime minister or a doctor. These days I tell everyone i want to be corporate lawyer and they think im a stuck up turd with a million pound in the bank.

22. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Amen.

The media portrayal of young people in this country is nothing short of disgusting. It's not kids from council estates that I'd want to banish, it's the smug, self-satisfied, Oxbridge plonkers that have never been near a council estate in their life (yet still feel qualified to label all young people as 'yobs') that dominate British media that I'd be quite happy to get rid of - the type of people that are more bothered about exploiting peoples fears and fermenting distrust within communities in order to sell their story and fund their next line of coke rather than use their position as a positive influence.

Eugh! :(

23. zami macrumors regular

IMHO British society has always been hard on children and this has been amplified by the invalicable and ever widening social divide that plagues our society.

Blair and Cameron are two sides of the same coin and with corrupt b*st*rds like them running the country sometimes the all pervading feeling of hopelessness can be understood.

That said down here in Streatham it can be very dangerous for young people who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time and I do always watch my back.

When you get someone dying on the ice at the icerink from gunshot wounds you do wonder.

Edit: Another fatal shooting just down the road, this time a fifteen year old.

24. Pac a Mac macrumors regular

Pac a Mac

If you find somewhere where teenagers are born responsible upper middleclass adults let me know. I will make sure I never go on holiday there.

Of course I never hung out, drank cider, smoked or caused adolesent mayhem:rolleyes: Every generation since time began has had a downer on its youth culture. The kids reflects our inability to manipulate and control and we don't like it.

Puts up hoody and slinks away......

25. MacPanda macrumors regular

my london

i have lived all my life in london and i can say that over the past couple of years it has really become really really bad - i was on the bus the other day and some kids started throwing dirty wet newspapers at my head, i work in this little grocer shop down the road and when it gets dark we like other shops get eggs and water glass bottles thrown at our windows.

It is impossible to walk in central london with the crowds. Personally, london has lost its grace in the poorer parts where i grew up like walworth, people used to be poor but friendly but now it is full of agressive teens. When you go to kensington and chelsea it is really just the same except that people there are too snobby and arrogant.

When you get out of london and go to places by the coast it is like a different country. On my street the Walworth Road you may have heard about this angolan refugee that came to our country and stabbed two women one at the Christening of her baby - for "disrespecting him in the street", it shows the mentality of the society we live in.