Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
i have lived all my life in london and i can say that over the past couple of years it has really become really really bad - i was on the bus the other day and some kids started throwing dirty wet newspapers at my head, i work in this little grocer shop down the road and when it gets dark we like other shops get eggs and water glass bottles thrown at our windows.

It is impossible to walk in central london with the crowds. Personally, london has lost its grace in the poorer parts where i grew up like walworth, people used to be poor but friendly but now it is full of agressive teens. When you go to kensington and chelsea it is really just the same except that people there are too snobby and arrogant.

When you get out of london and go to places by the coast it is like a different country. On my street the Walworth Road you may have heard about this angolan refugee that came to our country and stabbed two women one at the Christening of her baby - for "disrespecting him in the street", it shows the mentality of the society we live in.

Have these aggressive teens got anything else to do?

I know that where I live in the Valleys (one the poorest and unhealthiest areas in the UK), there is absolutely nothing for youngsters to do except hang around town looking for something to do.

There are no youth clubs, sports fields, Cubs/Scouts groups, leisure centres, after school clubs, etc., for them to spend some time interacting with other children and adult figures of 'authority' that are not police, teachers or angry shop-keepers 'moving them on'. (Exactly where they expect them to move on to is a mystery to me.)

As I've said in my earlier post, we are now on the second or third generation of badly betrayed people, and have the society that we deserve.

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
Have these aggressive teens got anything else to do?

I know that where I live in the Valleys (one the poorest and unhealthiest areas in the UK), there is absolutely nothing for youngsters to do except hang around town looking for something to do.

There are no youth clubs, sports fields, Cubs/Scouts groups, leisure centres, after school clubs, etc., for them to spend some time interacting with other children and adult figures of 'authority' that are not police, teachers or angry shop-keepers 'moving them on'. (Exactly where they expect them to move on to is a mystery to me.)

As I've said in my earlier post, we are now on the second or third generation of badly betrayed people, and have the society that we deserve.

One aspect of healthy teenhood in a healthy society is the rebellion. It is part of finding ourselves and becoming experienced adults. If anyone had shown me a youth club or playing field when I was a teen I'd have run a mile. The problem is of course there is a line and this line has become blurred due to our political correctness teens crossing the line are let down by weak adults and week administration.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Linky.

Just saw on the BBC news that the UK was bottom and was curious who came top and where the US was.

It is quite shocking that the two countries are called the most developed and advanced countries in the world and yet come 20th and 21st.
I clicked on the linked article just curious to see if Afghanistan and Syria ranked higher than US/UK.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I am 49 and when growing up in Lancashire there was nothing for kids to do except hang around on the street. No amenities, the only things being constructed were old peoples homes and car parks. Police's favourite occupation was moving us on and trying their best to find something to book us for. As mentioned above, it simply channels people into drinking culture as that is all there is. Start before you are 18 on off-license take away booze and later graduate into the pub. I personally became disillusioned with this in my early 20s and could see the harm it does to people, the lives going nowhere and no prospect of anything else. Not good. Thankfully my prayers were answered and I managed to get out and now live in a foreign country and live a satisfactory life. I hope that I will never have to return to England again to live. Yes I return occasionally to visit friends and family - flying visits every 10 years or so. LOL.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I am 49 and when growing up in Lancashire there was nothing for kids to do except hang around on the street. No amenities, the only things being constructed were old peoples homes and car parks. Police's favourite occupation was moving us on and trying their best to find something to book us for. As mentioned above, it simply channels people into drinking culture as that is all there is. Start before you are 18 on off-license take away booze and later graduate into the pub. I personally became disillusioned with this in my early 20s and could see the harm it does to people, the lives going nowhere and no prospect of anything else. Not good. Thankfully my prayers were answered and I managed to get out and now live in a foreign country and live a satisfactory life. I hope that I will never have to return to England again to live. Yes I return occasionally to visit friends and family - flying visits every 10 years or so. LOL.

I think that maybe more an issue to do with Lancashire than the UK in its entirety.

If I lived in Lancashire I'd have to get permanently drunk to cope too.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I think that maybe more an issue to do with Lancashire than the UK in its entirety.

If I lived in Lancashire I'd have to get permanently drunk to cope too.

"Its grim up north."

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I still resolutely believe education in the UK is a reasonably high standard. Shame I don't think the same thing about parenting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.