US/UK exchange rates/price differences

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grum, Sep 21, 2006.

1. grum macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    Has anyone else noticed the crazy difference in prices from the US to the UK? The base Macbook pro is 1999 dollars from the apple store, which equates to £1053 according to, as opposed to £1399 in the apple uk store. You could almost fly to America and buy one for cheaper than it would cost to get one in the uk :eek:

on the 17 inch one the difference is £425, you could easily fly to New York for less than that. If only I wouldnt have to pay such silly import charges I would surely get one from America - anyone fancy buying one for me and sending it to me as a "gift" and I'll send you back a "gift" of 2000 dollars? :p
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    US prices on the website don't include sales tax, ours include VAT at a whopping 17.5%.
  3. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    aha - and that depends what state you're in does it? Its still much less than 17.5% though isn't it?
  4. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    The Doller is very very week at the moment, has been for a while.

dont worry about it, its all swings and roundabouts.. like you say, go over there on holls and your £££ will buy you alot more than normal, although bringing it back to th UK you would have to pay import tax. The £ is worth alot of the moment, a sign of a good economy I belive.

Also, you have to take VAT into account (unless you can claim it back and your not inc it)
  5. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    just become Vat registered...a little bit of paper work every 3 months and claim it all back. Get all your computer equipment cheeper :)
  6. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    Well i can get higher ed discount which is nearly as good i think, but i am actually self-employed as a musician/teacher/composer so can i get VAT registered? Does it cost money?
  7. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    VAT registered is free (you have to be working for yourself/own a business/sole traider etc)

once registered you can (im 95% sure about this) claim the vat back from the last 3 years of work related goods...when I became registered about 3 years ago I claimed back over £1000

the only problem with becoming registered (and its only a problem for a few people) is that when you charge/invoice for a job you have to add vat to it...but if you are working for a company thats also vat registered (and most are) then it makes no difference as they inturn can claim back the VAT
  8. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    Right, thanks! I take it thats just on goods that were bought new? Do you need receipts etc? Just wondering cos I've bought loads of stuff for my studio that would surely qualify
  9. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    #9 wont be able to get any moneys back unless you have receipts.

if you have a look here, you should be able to find more info
  10. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    That's nothing compared to Denmark ;)

US MacBook Pro base model: $1999
    DK MacBook Pro base model: $2672 or £1414

I know, I know still very close but we have 25% VAT