us vs uk...bathroom shame

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 15, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what is the deal with the water closet term? it sounds so polite and what about restroom? it's a crapper and neither a closet nor a place to rest!

i heard on the radio that the english and the americans have the most anxiety and shame about the bathroom and bodily functions...so who is worse?

2. dnte42 macrumors regular

I just figured it was a guy problem in general...with the whole urinal buffer zone and all.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm going to say that the Americans are worse than the English when it comes to dealing with our bodies. Europeans in general are much more relaxed about everything - we can thank the Puritains mostly for setting a moral standard that has survived in some fashion all these centuries.

D

4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

You think that's bad - living in the UK, I'm stunned at the way that the majority of toilets are actually carpeted!

Ewwwww - GROSS! :eek:

5. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Uggh, bathrooms should not be carpeted, they should be easy to clean tile.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Not so bad.

In the town in Japan where I was born, when I was born, there were ditches beside the dirt roads. I shouldn't have to explain those.

These days, you may or may not find separate restrooms for men and women. The toilets differ with some being western and others being, basically, porcelain ditches.

My friend's mum had the toilet seat covered with some fuzzy bath rug-type seat cover. It was nice because it was toasty warm, but I'd be afraid that it would need extra cleaning...ewwwww.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, when i lived in korea, we'd go to places and the bathroom would just a be a couple of pits in the ground

time to cop a squat eh?

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Same thing in some villages in Greece. It was... um... interesting. :p

Hey duke, the Puritans probably at least kept their bathrooms clean... :D