US war costs 'could hit $811bn'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Quote:
    "The cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has soared and may now reach $811bn (£445bn), says a report by the Congressional Research Service"...

"Overall, 71% of the total war costs have been spent in Iraq, 21% in Afghanistan, and 7% on increased protection for US forces worldwide."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4955418.stm

Just imagine what the states could have done with that 71%...

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Money seems to be more of a hypothetical concept to this current administration.

e

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

It's only money right. Think of all the people who've died... Total cost is such a shame, especially for a Bible-bashing monkey-nutts like Bush!

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i always wished our country would become so broke that they would have to find a radical way to pay for stuff.

First precedent that comes to mind is paying for the Revolutionary war...

they started to tax distilled spirits....

I propose legalizing marijuana production in the same fashion as tobacco.

tax the hell out of it.

become a rich country very quickly.

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Hey, that's our gig! :rolleyes:

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All the things we could have gotten with that $$$ and instead we have this stupid war by Bush & the goose steppers. In the end what do we get ? A Shiite theocracy paid for by the U.S. taxpayer running Iraq and higher Oil prices.:( :mad: George & Cheney and the other draft dodgers screwed this one up.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It really hits below the belt to hear how much these buffoons have squandered as I'm struggling, trying to figure out how on earth my daughter can afford to go to college.

Unfortunately, as of this morning, another 67 families won't have to worry about education expenses for their fallen loved ones.

All of this just absolutely sickens me.

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I get a little bit depressed and saddened everyday when this admin. is still in power.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Now I see why they call this the trillion dollar war. And we're not even done yet. The next administration is going to have to raise taxes or we'll go broke. Actually, I'm sure we'll go broke anyway. I guess it's a good thing the world is ending in 2012.

10. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Anyone hazard a guess - how much would the u.s have to be in debt until it is unable to pay the interest?

11. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Well, thats what Americans get.. they're the ones who voted Bush in power.. for the second term. I remember being stunned in disbelief, with my parents.. in India.. and then I just started laughing out loud going "Oh man, dumb americans.. they're sure gonna get it! They're gonna pay for this so bad and they don't even know it!"

Now here I am in California.. and everyday its just this "Yes! I was right!" feeling. None of this is amusing of course, the lives being lost, the money being spent.. or rather, just totally wasted. Its so ridiculous that at some point, you have to use humor to get yourself out of that depression.

The one thing that irritates me, is, why the F@@@ don't people do something about this idiot in charge?!!

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I drove through a tiny hick town in the middle of nowhere Missouri today. This is the kind of town that immediately screams "neo conservative redneck bible thumpers live here" We have them all over Missouri. But to my surprise, off to the side of the road was a huge sign, that said "Had enough? Vote Democrat"

If the conservative rednecks are telling you to vote Democrat, then you know Bush has completely ****ed up. I'm still shocked that 32% of the population still supports him.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not all of us voted for Chimpy McHalliburton you know...

14. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Anyone know who's going to send the 'big-boys' round to collect? That would be interesting.... :)

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It won't matter, the world is ending, remember? :p Anyway, it would be a lot more than what it is now. But any business run like the US gov would have gone bankrupt years ago. We could always just sell Alaska and Hawaii. You know, before we destroy them that is.