US warns of multiple al Qaeda attacks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think we all knew this would come about. We're going to be under what's likely the tightest security any of us will ever see in our lifetimes while this is going on.

I'm glad Geekfest is still a few months away. I just hope things settle down a bit between now & then so flying again won't be such a hassle. :(

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My advice, stay out of heavily populated areas. If you have relatives out in the country, go visit for a while, if you can get away. If you can't just make sure that you're not in any major areas, like busy streets, subways, crowded buildings/theaters/clubs. I'm am fairly certain that nothing is going to happen near where I live, since there aren't nearly as many people as there are in other places, and here, it's all spread out.

I hope nothing bad happens to anybody here with all of the trouble this war is going to stir up.:(

4. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Re: US warns of multiple al Qaeda attacks

DC is the last place in the states I would want to be right now. I hope you don't get fried. I wish you good luck.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

"Stay out of major areas." Gee whiz, no problem! I'll just tell my employer that I'm not coming in to work tomorrow because al-Qaida is going to attack. He'll understand.

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm thinking you're going to have a lot less to worry about in Minneanapolis than I will here in DC.....

Although, I will drive and avoid the metro - one place everyone is warning about, but we've yet to see that in the states.

D

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I wouldn't worry too much. There have been numerous warnings like this already and none of them have panned out. I think the "alert system" needs recalibrating. Just have a few extra rolls of duct tape handy and you'll be alright.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Same for me. I work in the Canary Wharf area just outside central London, however it is (I would think) a 'high risk' area due to the dense (working) population, not to mention the fact that it is a major financial area (HSBC & Citigroup have just built themselves sky scrapers there, Barclays, Morgan Stanley & Credit Suisse all have very big offices there, etc, etc). So, as much as I'd like not to be there when all this does kick off, I don't think my employers would be to happy about my reason for not shoowing up to work :(

9. Zion Grail macrumors regular

And this war was supposed to reduce terrorism how?

Oh, wait, that's right. It won't.

10. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Re: Re: US warns of multiple al Qaeda attacks

I disagree. Big cities that have already been attacked (i.e. DC, NYC) are going to be the most paranoid and have the most police presense both officers and undercover. There have been many reports about the lax additude of the West coast.

Cities like Seattle, LA, San Fransisco, Miami, Houston, Chicago...etc. probably don't have the beefed up security like New York. Terrorists would know this.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Saddam is a terrorist, are you telling me that getting one of the biggest instigators of terrorism isnt going to help? How many families has Saddam paid off to have someone blow themselves up in public places. ? Heck he has killed thousands of his own people for disagreeing with him

12. Chef Ramen macrumors member

saddam has NO links to terrorism...when will people understand that??

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lets see , he pays individuals to strap bombs on themselves to go to public places with women and children and then blow themselves up and take as many men women and children with him? The family of the deceased suicide bomber now gets 25 grand. If this isnt terrorism then there is not such a thing.

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Terrorists have the ability to get weapons from countries like Iraq. Since Iraq can't account for much of it's chemical and biological agents (anthrax, nerve gas...) it would be the ideal place for terrorists to acquire these weapons.

If saddam gets desperate, he would not hesitate to let chemical and biological weapons fall into the hands of terrorists.

Besides, terrorists can attack claiming that they are fighting for saddam.

15. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hope everyone stays safe and well.

I hope everyone here stays safe and well in the coming days. I hope we all keep a level head, and should anything trying happens, that we know how to face fear and do what we need to do.

Take care and be strong.

Gene

:)

16. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Tough to do when one has classes and takes public transportation. At least I live in East Bay, instead of SF. Another plus: I used to live near several air fields. At least now I am not a strategic target.

Dan

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Classic WMD.

WMD = weapons of mass distraction

18. markomarko macrumors member

I predict zero incidents of terrorism during this war, based on the correlation between Government warnings and actual terrorist attacks.

It's when they don't have anything to say that you need to be worried.

19. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Absolutely 100% right. I didn't understand why some people predicted an attack during the holidays and promptly forgot about the possibility, after. they'll come for us when we're content.

Dan

20. Chef Ramen macrumors member

there is speculation that the terror alert level will be raised to 'red' very very soon

im scared ****less

we are 100% ****ed

21. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

What's our status now? Red? Orange? Green Clovers? Blue diamonds?

What's our status right now? Anyone? (Sorry for the Lucky Charms joke, couldn't resist...)