Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
An 80-year-old woman has crashed her car into a driving test centre in Florida, after being summoned to retake a road safety examination.

Therese Smith smashed into the office's waiting room, injuring 11 people.

It is thought she was moving out of her parking space but accelerated too hard, propelling her through an outside wall.

The accident was caught on surveillance camera and shows people rushing up to Ms Smith who was still buckled in her seat belt. No-one was seriously hurt.

The videotape also shows a man in a Superman costume walking around the car, but he did not stop to help the driver or any of the victims. His identity is unknown.

- BBC

Nobody was seriously hurt but Superman was on hand just-in-case.

:D

(But seriously, after watching the video the fact no-one was hurt is incredible.)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Maybe there was kryptonite( spelling?) in the womans car hindering Superman from rescuring her. :p

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Why is the video running at such high speed? It's hard to tell how fast the car was actually moving.

Generally speaking, generic survellence cameras pick up a frame every so seconds... Then probably whoever compiled the video set it at a normal fps of like 24~30 and it speed everything up... Thats my guess... heh

Lol superman.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
With everything sped up that crash looks rough. Sucks to be her right now, but at least she didn't kill anyone, i think we'd see a lot of news about mandatory retesting... :eek:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I highly doubt that. Kryptonite is pretty hard to get.

Then maybe he was wearing red kryptonite and was the one who threw the car into the building???? :p I mean he probably destroyed the gas pedal when he went to accelerate and they failed him so he was pissed. So he threw an innocent old lady into the test center?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I've always been for mandatory retesting of old people, but before they do that, they may wish to surround test centers with 3 foot thick concrete.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I highly doubt that. Kryptonite is pretty hard to get.

Not really. It's available from any bike store. Costs a bit more than other locks but it can be worth it for deterring super-burglars.

Seems to have backfired tho as in this case it kept Superman away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.