USA a checkpoint society. CRIME to refuse ID to police.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcfudd, Jun 21, 2004.

1. mcfudd macrumors member

The US Supreme Court has ruled today it is a crime to refuse your name or ID to police if asked. This rule applies even in there is NO PROBABLE CAUSE that a crime is being (or will be) committed.

Remember the old Soviet Union? May I see your papers comrade?

Are privacy rights shot forever in the USA due to 9/11????

IS PRIVACY A CRIME???? :confused:

CNN article

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The War on Terror is a wonderful thing...

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It has nothing to do with the WOT. It is historic; the laws have been in place for decades. It's a state-law matter, not federal. And, this does not include all states.

In Texas, unless you're driving a vehicle or are otherwise engaged in a state-licensed activity, you're not required to have ID on your person.

'Rat

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You may be mistaken, 'Rat. I seem to remember that the initial impetus for this measure was connected with identifying people leaving apartment buildings in a situation where a felon (read "terrorist") is believed to have taken refuge in the building. I may be wrong. It's happened before. Once.
    :rolleyes:

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This particular case began in Nevada. The police were called regarding a family argument/fight in a rural area. A deputy sheriff arrived in the area and saw man who matched the reported description. He asked the man for his name. The man refused to give his name. It went downhill from there.

SCOTUS did not rule that you must carry ID. The ruling was that in Nevada, if you're asked for your name, you must give it. Nevada is one of 21 states which require that one identify oneself to the police.

29 states do not have this law on the books at this time.

Where I could be in error is the issue of "identify oneself" (verbally) versus "carry official identification".

'Rat