Usage of :rolleyes: on those forums...

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

On all the other forums I've been on, the use of the rolleyes smiley, :rolleyes:, signifies sarcasm or something insulting. But on MacRumors, I noticed people using it in posts that don't sound insulting or sarcastic at all, like for example "wow, nice setup! :rolleyes:". I'm just wondering, why do you do that (if youdo it)? My only guess is it looks like you're looking at the post above. But it kind of bothers me, because it conflicts with the usual use of the smilie, and whenever it shows up, I'm not sure what the post actually means.

I'm not saying I should tell you what smilies you use in your own posts, just wondering why some people use :rolleyes:, well, weirdly.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree.

Also, do the rolling eyes have any other meaning in other country? On a few forums I post, there are some non-native English speakers who often use a rolleyes in place of a :D or :) smiley. Makes them come off as an ass to people who think it signifies sarcasm, but it may mean something completley different where they're from.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D I smell great potential in this thread! :D

I use it for sarcasm and for frustration. Sometimes for self-deprecative humor as well... So I'm not always insulting the previous poster. ;)

But I agree, some people here use it in very strange ways.... It's hard when people use smilies in ambiguous ways, because you don't know how to interpret them. If they rolled your eyes at you in person in the middle of a conversation, you would make the same assumption you are tempted to make here.... :rolleyes:

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Smarmy reply:
    Nice post. :rolleyes:

real reply:
    I want a font for sarcasm! having to use fake HTML tags for sarcasm gets annoying, haha.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea I agree. That :rolleyes: smilie can be confusing in some posts at times. While it means sarcastic or something it could also be seeing as wishing for something. Like someone saying, "Can't wait for the Powerbook G5! :rolleyes:" Kinda like they're looking into the future or something along those lines.

As for this thread you started....:rolleyes:

jk ;) :D

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I don't really see what the big fuss is about... :rolleyes:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I can see that you're getting a lot of thoughtful replies in here! :rolleyes:

;) :eek: :D

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

unless, of course, the one above was bragging about his Dimensions ;)

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, the use of the sarcastic smilie is confusing at times. [​IMG]

Makes you want to beat up that poster. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. iCe Cube macrumors regular

I agree with you. However, you get some smileys that show the eyes mothing round and round. 'Just doesn't look insulting

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I've thought the same thing; it makes it hard to understand the intent of the post sometimes.

perhaps it could be replaced with one that better signifies "adoration" (which is how I see it used sometimes)
    this one looks a bit more "affectionate" -> [​IMG]

OR, add one that actually does look sarcastic. like one of these:

[​IMG] or [​IMG]

I have a LOT of smilies saved if anyone wants me to post a few ideas. I don't want to pester the staff here, but it's pretty easy to change a smilie/add or edit one with vBulletin, so it's really not an unreasonable request, one I submit humbly :)

just my two cents

13. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Here he is again edited to look a bit more unimpressed ....

Attached Files:

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

[​IMG]

What a thread... how dare you insult our odd use of the :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like this one a lot. :)

EDIT: So if someone were to upload a whole bunch of extra smilies to their account and post the attachment.php links, would using them just suck up huge amounts of server time? I guess I could photobucket a bunch of them and macro the IMG statements....

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I actually lurked for a long time and my first few posts took me so long because I had to debate over whether or not I should go w/ the way a smilie looks or by the textual name of each smilie.

Now I just post according to the "name." So I use :rolleyes: in the manner described so well by mkrishnan.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

HAHAHA, I have a blue version of that ranting guy, same with the shaking head one. (told ya I got lots)

but [​IMG] we gotta say our piece, so [​IMG]

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

not really, it takes about 30 seconds, they are uploaded to the servers and the tiny little file sizes of these smilies take up next to no bandwidth at all. it's nice to only have a few smilies for the sake of simplicity and tidiness, but it really wouldn't be a burden on the site at all. I'd never suggest it if it were, I love this place too much :)

EDIT --- DUH, I just got what you meant by that, I was referring to someone adding the smilies through the admin CP here at MR - but that's not a bad idea what you mentioned, although it might be a bit of a drain, it depends I guess.

[​IMG] <- what about that one? I like that shaking head one, but it's more "obvious" than the others I posted, I perfered the more subtle ones. (JMO)

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

[​IMG] is already uploaded to macrumors...

hxxp://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20418&stc=1

Basically all you have to do is view the image, bookmark the smiley, drop the address into your post whenever you need it, and hit the image button to convert the address to a smiley.

Not too difficult. [​IMG]

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I love the tongue/raspberry smilie!!!!!!!!! Gimme gimme.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that is an improvement, looks less "happy" (sorry the attachment doesn't show in my reply, so refer to quoted post if anyone is confused)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So it's okay, in terms of utilization? Isn't there more server time involved in using all of those attachments, since they have to go through PHP? If not, well, then, count me happy. :D

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

[​IMG]

I didn't know that, (thanks for the tip) but it does seem a bit more time consuming than just clicking the smilie... which would take a staff member with admin access under a minute to alter. that sarcastic smilie really is a bit ambiguous. (but just my two cents, like I said)

ack....
    [​IMG]

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes it is, which is why it keeps everyone from using them for too long.

Just when it's worth the time to really try to make a point. Or the post requires it.

But keeping the stationary smilies keeps the forum from looking way too obnoxious.

Too many moving smilies can be irritating, especially when the only thing that is required is a click.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oh absolutely, I think the overly animated ones are annoying when you are sort of forced to see them while composing a post. I mentioned that in so many words, but my first votes were for one non animated one, and another that was very subtle :)

this one [​IMG] to indicate liking something

and this one [​IMG] as the actual sarcastic smilie.

{{shrugs}} just my opinion - I think we actually all agree in some way here really

group hug? :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.