USAToday Posts iTunes Pepsi Article

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Mar 4, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Today's edition of USAToday has an interesting article talking about the iTunes/Pepsi song giveaway. The article mentions briefly that iTunes has revolutionized the idea of downloading music from illegal (Kazaa) to legal. It says that Pepsi expects a 10-20% redemption rate (does this take into account tilters?) on the caps. It says that Apple has NOT received a boost in sales yet since caps JUST NOW appeared in New York, and have yet to arrive in LA! Obligatory statement about bad marketing, and estimates that Apple should be at about 75 million at the one year anniversary. In the print edition of the newspaper, there is a graph of SoundScan reported downloads at the iTMS since January. The downloads have increased from about 1.5 million a week to about 2.0 million a week in late February. Apparently, this does not include the Pepsi caps meaning that the promo is a success and driving more 'normal' music download business Apple's way!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What I'd be interested to know is how have downloads of iTunes changed since the contest started. These would be *new* iTunes users--very important from Apple's perspective.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I haven't bought any songs since the promo started. Once it ends I'll get back into buying them again but for now I usually get a free one or two every day which is more than I was buying on average anyhow... man I drink way too much soda at work.

4. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

None of our caps are yellow here in Northwest Missouri, so you could E-mail me a few of those codes so that you could get back to buying earlier ;)