USAToday reports on M$'s embarrasing loss to Linux

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stelliform, Jul 15, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Thanks to Slashdot I found this bit of information. USA Today has a story on M$'s loss to Linux in Munich.

This is my favorite quote...

:eek: M$ cheat? Nahhh they are above that! :rolleyes:

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Should stick in M$'s craw that they paid MORE for the Linux machines than the bid that M$ entered.

But MS has time and again showed that they're not above giving away huge incentives only to recover the money later when the companies are at MS's mercy.

Nice to see companies breaking the cycle of greed from the Money $ucking virus.

3. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Go Munich, Linux still is better then Windows.

4. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

aren't details of this loss old? I mean i remember this stroy from a month or two ago i though

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

But we didn't know the nit picky details. We just knew the lost and even Ballmer couldn't make it happen with huge price cuts. We didn't know about the different offerings like Word sans Windows, a longer renewal time.... So we can see what M$ knows about what people really need and want.

6. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't get it. How did the Linux bid cost $35.7 million, while Microsofts was initially a $36.6 million dollar offer? How did the Linux offer cost more when Linux is cheaper than Windows?

Also, how come it costs so much to replace all the software (eg: Windows and Office) on 14,000 computers? It works out to be $2614 per computer if the original $36.6 million dollar offer is considered. :confused: