USB 2.0 Data transfer slow/iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LordUn, Oct 1, 2006.

1. LordUn macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

need some feedback - im needing to reformat an external USB 2.0 Seagate 7200 RPM hard disc, and so need to store the date somewhere else initially. I decided to put this onto one of the new imacs while I did the deed. The data needing to be backed up is around 60GB - the transfer after 6 hours was only around half of this amount. What could be the problem?

Also, for future reference, is there an easier way to reformat a disc from NTFS to FAT32 based so the drive is read/write on both windows and mac?

Cheers!:confused:

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

which imac and if you have it plugged into the keyboard it is only a usb1.x port. in the end its usb and its still technically a serial port. usb also fluctuates with powersupply but its an external hd so that should not be an issue.

final comment - spend a few dollars extra and get firewire - much more reliable in my experiences

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, you're getting barely 12MBit/s, which is 1.1 speed. I consistently get 27MB/s (that's Megabytes per second) from my USB drive (which is still slower than the 40MB/s from my firewire drive).

So, to emphasise SpankyPenzaanz point, do you have the drive plugged into the keyboard?

4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

if its a hub make sure its has its own powersupply and make sure it is on and etc.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. LordUn thread starter macrumors newbie

I should clarify for all....

It is a seagate USB 2.0 drive, and I am a switcher customer so recylcling my drive. The drive is 7200 Spin, and self powering.

It is on a new Imac 20" core 2 model, and it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the rear of the iMac - I have tried several ports, it is incredibly slow compared to my PC systems in use also.

I will use one of them to backup right now, but its still not solving my problem of atrocious performance over USB 2.0.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the input

7. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

is it a usb2.0 cable...I know it may sound trivia

8. LordUn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it is...

unfortunately it is the package that came in the pack - im a little stumped as to why performance on any of the USB 2.0 ports is so slow - it ramps fine in XP

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm having some USB issues in 10.4.8. It only seems to make my computer sluggish and doesn't effect transfer speeds.