usb 2.0 or fw 400 for external drive?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kugino, Sep 11, 2004.

1. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i have a couple of external HDs that have both fw 400 and usb 2.0. which should i use to connect to my PM G5 2.0? i'd like to combine the two drives in a RAID array as well...is usb 2.0 better than fw 400 for that? is it easier to daisy chain fw or usb? lots o' questions...thanks in advance, everyone.

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

In my opinion i prefer firewire but that's just me.

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Doesn't the USB 2.0 still require external power?

I know a few Firewire Drives that need their own power but there are ones that just use the one cable

If you can get one with just one Firewire cable then it would be better for moving it around (not worring about that extra cable)

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Definitely go for the FireWire. Even though the FireWire peaks at 400 Mb/s and the USB 2.0 can go to 480 Mb/s, they use different transfer protocols and in real world tests a sustained data transfer will be much smoother and quicker over FW that USB 2.0.

Now if I could only find the link to the benchmark tests to prove it. :eek:

5. Zaty macrumors 65816

It depends on how much power a device draws. I've got a LaCie mobile HD that doesn't need an external power source.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

rewsd the first post, he has the drive but wants to know which way to connect it, and add one vote for firewire.

7. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

There was a thread a while back comparing the two and I believe, firewire was the winner. But I don't know when it comes to a device which has both connections.

8. Zaty macrumors 65816

You're right, sorry. It was a bit too early on Sunday morning :). I altered my post accordingly.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

what it comes down to is that firewire ports have there own dedicated decoder chip thingys to do all the work and they have a sole purpose and can handle 400mbps but with usb 2 it makes the cpu do all the work and using the cpu to do something is always slower than dedicated hardware

10. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Either one is fast. There both good. I like firewire better, but usb is more common.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you are going to play songs or video or store large files (say a meg or more) then firewire is much faster. If you are going to store smaller files (a meg or less) then usb2 blows 1394 out of the water. Ususally people's files are fairly large, so most people are better off with the firewire.

12. kugino thread starter macrumors 65816

kugino